You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Passenger front air bag not working

Tried to leave this afternoon and the front passenger airbag is refusing to do anything.  I generally turn on the key (had the engine running) and on the HWH panel clicked the upper button to put the coach into leveling mode so I can raise the coach all the way up.  Then I normally let the coach go into travel mode.  This time when I tried to raise the coach all the way up the front passenger airbag refused to budge.  I tried different things with the HWH panel to no avail.  Any help is appreciated!   Not sure how to test the airbag for leaks - I don’t hear air escaping and the coach is really low to the ground.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Called Newell and they suggested the 6-pack may be the issue. There is no air escaping from the air bag so I think it is good. Newell suggested banging on the solenoids so I did that but used a plastic dead-blow hammer (maybe should use a metal hammer?) - that did nothing. I’m going to check magnetism on the solenoids in the morning when I can see better. We are in a safe place at the Asheville, NC KOA - hopefully they won’t try to kick us out when we are lame…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

What happens if you put the coach into travel mode? Do the other three corners raise? If they do, then you do not likely have a control box issue. All the travel solenoids are powered from the same terminal. Lower the coach before you put it in travel.

If none of the corners raise, what does the air pressure do when you put it in travel?

Does travel solenoid magnetize?
Is there air escaping from the rear of the front six pack?

Isn’t this a similar issue to the one we walked through on the phone several years ago? http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...ot+working

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard for the jolt of common sense.
We have to leave the park this morning or they will have us towed away :-( Actually, they are being very nice after I was running my LOUD engine/exhaust last night at 8pm in the park and they got several mad calls… I need to find some good cribbing since I left my big jack and stands at home :-(
To answer your questions:
Travel Mode: seems to be working fine on all other corners except for the front passenger/right corner.
I will test this again to see what the air pressure does but as I recall it just went up and down a few times (maybe 10lbs) as the HWH went through each corner to raise the coach. We did try letting all the air out of the system and then go into travel mode.
I will test the solenoid for magnetization and 12-volt this morning.
There is no air escaping from the front six pack that I can hear - will test it with my Infinicon (I brought nothing else but DID bring that!).
YES this is very similar to what happened several years ago! - I don’t know how you guys can 1) remember that far back 2) make the search engine work!
I did find a previous post of yours where you had a similar issue and also racked the slide room - I now have this same issue exactly, I was going to wait until after we diagnosed the issue before bringing that up so thanks for the previous post I will be able to go back to sleep tonight (I was having nightmares of having to limp to Newell to have them re-bend my slide room out or was afraid I had poked a hole in my salon roof!)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Please confirm that I have the facts correct.

If you put the coach in ALL RAISE while in Leveling mode, the passenger front stays down.

If you put the coach in TRAVEL, the passenger front stays down.

Please confirm you have 12V at the passenger solenoid connector with a VOLTMETER, not the test light.

Please put the coach in ALL RAISE, and report the supply pressure behavior after the three good corners raise.

If facts one and two are correct, and you have 12V at the solenoid, then you may have a hole in the air bag.

And read, read, read the post I linked for further ways of diagnosing what is going on. The reason I take the time to write all that detail is to help someone in the future.

Do not try to move your rooms until you get the coach in TRAVEL mode.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Current update:
I have a guy coming to check the airbag via CoachNet - no telling what will happen there but figured it was worth a (expensive) shot…

I tried to dump all the air out of the coach and all except the front driver (left) side dumped correctly (the passenger right side was already dumped)… wierd… I tried several different ways to dump the front driver left to no avail - it is stuck in travel mode (or about that height - 2” or so above the tires).

Richard, below are the answers to your questions: I will edit this post as I test the things you asked me.
If you put the coach in ALL RAISE while in Leveling mode, the passenger front stays down. YES it does not move
If you put the coach in TRAVEL, the passenger front stays down. YES it does not move I also set the Emergency Brake OFF just to be sure the travel mode was working and the rest of the coach came up like it should except the passenger front (right). Newell walked me through that.
Please confirm you have 12V at the passenger solenoid connector with a VOLTMETER, not the test light. Showing 10.2 volts with tester
Please put the coach in ALL RAISE, and report the supply pressure behavior after the three good corners raise.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Hmmm, given the new behavior, or just noticed behavior of the right front. Confirm 12V to right front dump solenoid.

Remember the last time you had this problem, it was cured by pulling the main fuses in the HWH control box, and putting them back in. You were not getting consistent voltage to the main control board because the fuses were oxidized.

Can you use the control board diagram to find Terminal 67, if so run a hot wire from the 12V stud in that bay to terminal 67 and see if it goes into travel.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

DUMP mode: Current voltage for LOWER solenoid is 5.3volts - driver side left airbag still looks like it is in travel mode
Air supply is at about 80lbs

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

just fyi.....not sure what voltage is not enough to give the coil on the 6 pack solenoids enough to pull the plunger up against the spring....but pretty sure it is close to 12 v plus or minus 10 percent or so. they are 9 watt coils and the next step up in orfice size requires a stronger spring which in turn requires a 13 watt coil.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

since you have multiple valves on the 6 pack not acting right richard is guiding you in the right direction. you have voltage issues from the control box to resolve. but....richard i believe the front travel solenoids share control voltage from the same place dont they?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH