You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VC 114-602 GAGGENAU halogen

My left (smaller) halogen burner has an elelment (bulb) out.  Are they replaceable individually?

If not... anyone have a working one they removed?

or I have seen an Induction AND ceramic radiant 2 burner that will fit the openiny...BUT it's only 110v Seems like it may be too wimpy on the radiant side... probably only 1800w, maybe 2200w.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Has anyone replaced the original electric burner units and went with a purely ceramic replacement. Would like to do that on 653.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Interesting thread, since replacing the Gag with an induction unit is on my one day list. My idea was to buy one slightly larger than the cutout and sink it flush with the countertop. All that is just dreaming.

The part you may be interested in is that before destroying my countertop, I wanted some data. I bought a 1800 watt countertop unit to try around the house. I am sold. It will boil water pretty quickly. The 1800 watts is to keep in line with a 15 amp circuit breaker and wiring. 15 X 120 Volts = 1800 Watts.

The point is 1800 is plenty, and will allow you to cook using the inverter.

The table top unit will go in the coach to replace my current propane powered outside burner. Much easier to control the heat input with the induction.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hey Richard, have had induction at the house for 6-7 years and personally prefer it over anything else. Super fast to heat stuff up, but just as important you can take the heat away just as quick. To me it’s all the benefits of a gas range with way easier cleaning.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

The Gaggenau is a 220V halogen cooktop. I am wondering what the Wattage of the elements are? If you look really closely at them they sure look like tube style halogen lamp bulbs with ceramic ends...

That being said, if 110v and 1800 watts is a rough equivalent NOT in induction but in radiant heat of the existing Gaggenau (the cooktop I am looking at is both) I would definitely go for it. Adds the benefit of being able to use the cooktop when 220v is NOT available as long as you properly manage energy use.

This cooktop is VERY inexpensive. I would be willing to get one, install it and test....

What do you all think?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Rick,

I have cooked a LOT on the gaggenau. I can say without any reservation that the ability to boil a large pot of water on the induction is quicker than the gaggenau based on my experience with the portable 1800 watt induction.

Plus the change in heat is almost instantaneous compared to the lag time on the gaggenau.

I just have to find a suitable induction unit to install now. Flush mount, slightly larger than the existing cover cutout, and clean face with touch controls. Not asking for much……

Just curious about why you want a combo unit that has both radiant and radiant heating.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I bought a Duxtop 1800 watt induction portable and like Richard said they are great! The only issue is a smaller pot will occasionally walk due to the vibrations from the cooling fan. I haven't bought one yet but I've seen suggestions to add a thin silicone mat on the cooking surface to prevent this.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

So I have been using a Duxtop for many years....I wrote a review about it many years ago (it's stored in my online article archive at www.thewanderman.com) and, yes... induction works GREAT!

Why do I want a radiant burner in addition to induction? I have several favorite pans I use all the time and they are just not induction compatible. There are ferrous rings that can adapt them to the induction surface, but... meh.

The main question I have, isn't about induction wattage vs. radiant wattage, it's 220v radiant to 110v radiant. I know I have an 1800 watt 110v "burner" on the new unit, but what(!) wattages were/are the halogen elements on the Gaggenau? And how would they compare.

I may have found a win-win solution here, but not so sure.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Richard, are you looking for a single burner or a dual?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Dual minimum. I am not very deep into researching this yet. I have glanced at some bosch units. The key will be something slightly larger dimensionally than the cover. My main purpose is to have as much usable counter top as possible. I want to flush mount the induction not put it into the well where the current gag resides

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad