You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bluefire

So I bought the Bluefire dongle, galaxy tab and DDEC harness adapter. The unit does connect but I get a "Key off" message on the tablet that comes and goes quickly. So although it is connected, it is not reading any vitals. I did "calibrate" the dongle with the tablet. Any ideas I can try? I have the 8v92. 
Thank you!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, if your BlueTooth is connected, that means at least 2 wires are correct on the J1939 harness adapter, the 12v positive and the negative. I'll assume that you have a diagnostic plug in your engine compartment also. Plug your harness adapter into the engine compartment diagnostic adapter and see if everything works from there. If not make sure that the harness adapter is wired correctly, that the CAN high and CAN low are mapped correctly. All the adapter wiring pin outs can be easily found on the internet. Worst case scinerio is you'll have to run a shielded CAN bus wire from your engine compartment to your cockpit and find a ignition controlled hot and a ground. They sell J1939 plugs for under $10, wire it up and lose the adapter.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thank you. I was going to see if there was a connector in the engine bay. I do know the previous owner had Williams replace the ECU as noted on a bill about a couple years back. Frustrating...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, CANbus is a very simple concept, but if previous owner/repair shop altered (messed up) the wiring it can be very frustrating. On my donor bus the J1939 port in the engine compartment worked, the cockpit J1939 port did not.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Old thread but I am having difficulty getting the dash to display live data.

I have the DD60 - do I set-up as Motorhome or Truck?

I've done both and haven't had any luck. I'm flashing green but never getting solid green on the adapter.

I've tried resetting everything and starting over...twice now.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

David, I never got mine to work. Same issues as yours. I tried both MH and truck.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I looked at blue fire years ago…but for some reason I did not pursue it.  

One thing to note is that in 2003 and earlier coaches… The J1939 standard did not exist.   Instead, the J1708 standard was used.   Look at this Link.  I could not find the blue fire website and see if they were compatible with J1708.

I built but did not deploy a simple J1708 reader and it worked for the Cat C-12.  Never got around to testing it on DD engines…tho I believe it would have worked.

Is there a reason that the Silverleaf solution does not work for ya’ll?

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, I wanted to use a wireless android tablet on hand which is why I went that route. At this point, I will keep an eye on the existing temp gauge despite its inaccuracy. Too many things in life to stress over!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Bill, according to the Wilipedia link you supplied;
"Originally, Controller Area Network (CAN) was not mentioned in J1939, which covered cars and tractor-trailer rigs, and with some dual and triple use 8-bit addresses assigned by the SAE J1939 board. CAN was not originally free, but its instruction set did fit in the custom instruction format of J1939. This was true as of 2000. Since then, CAN has been included, the chipset for J1939 has been clocked faster[clarification needed], and 16-bit addresses (PGN) have replaced 8-bit addresses.

J1939, ISO 11783 and NMEA 2000 all share the same high level protocol. SAE J1939 can be considered the replacement for the older SAE J1708 and SAE J1587 specifications."

My 2000 Orion transit donor bus came with J1939.

Simon, I would use a wire tracer to make sure that your CAN high and CAN low wires are actually connected to your replacement ECM.

[Image: J1708-J1939_connector_comparison_8-17c_0.jpg]

Check your DDEC connector, verify that J connects to the ECM CAN high and K connects to the ECM CAN low.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

I thought I responded yesterday but for some reason it didn't post.

Mark from Bluefire got back to be almost immediately and suggested setting it to the J1708 standard and everything worked as it should. We'll, everything that was being transmitted anyway which didn't seem like much at first glance.

Does anyone know what channels are typically transmitted on an '04 DD60? Is there a way to get the ECU to transmit more info?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry