You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Remodeling Salon Slide Room

We had a few leaks over the years and the ceiling started to sag over the couch in the Salon Slide Room.  I have (carefully) removed the ceiling and have recreated fully all the pieces that came out of the ceiling.  We found matching vinyl material for the pieces and am just about ready to reinstall everything.  Then my wife started looking at new coach pictures and noticed Newell, Foretravel and Prevost conversions all now have ‘flat’ ceilings - not several layers thick like ours are.  This would be MUCH simpler to create and I really like all the 2” or 3” LED lights in the ceiling (gets rid of the side lights at the table and over the couch).  I’m at a great point to really change the looks in the slideout - should I or will this be a slippery slope?  
I will be producing a video (eventually) and pictures along with walking through how to R/R the ceiling panels and take apart the slide room upholstered panels… I am at the half-way point now and plan to be done within the month (we all know how our plans work out).  Happy Newell’ing!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

This is a picture of the ‘flat’ slide room (ceiling) that I was referring to…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Gonna change the ceiling in the front salon to match the flat ceiling in the slide out? That be the slippery slope.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I agree since the main salon ceiling has the ‘scalloped/shaped’ look to it rather than flat - flat would have been SO much easier but I already have it rebuilt now… oh well… lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I say go for it!! I would LOVE to do a newer look.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Wow, from the dismantled interior pics, I'm amazed how much water got in there. It is going to look great when your'e done and give you peace of mind.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Adrian
Great looking work you're doing!  Is the ceiling covered in one assembly and installed as such?  How is it attached?  Looking at our ceiling the element identified in your amended picture, inside the arrows, seems to be a separately covered element of the assembly.  If it is, how is it attached to the sub assembly?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Super impressive Adrian! Looking forward to seeing the after.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

The roof looks like it was assembled in big pieces and then put up - there are No screws coming from the upper-most 1/4” plywood that holds it all to the ceiling ‘joists’(?).  I have a video showing how it all came down and have been referring to that to make sure I didn’t miss anything.  So now I am headed to Beaumont, TX to pick up my wife and stay with my parents for a week.  I loaded everything into the coach that I will need and hope I brought everything I need.  I am debating about buying a ‘real’ Milwaukee 1/4” crown stapler like upholsterers use or will my existing Milwaukee 12V 3/8” crown stapler work ok for this - it’s worth the $$$ to make sure the ceiling does not sag but my wife disagrees lol.  I’m going to try to staple a long piece to the plywood as a test and see how it holds up.  Right now the coach looks like a disaster area but it is nice and quiet (hardly any squeaks!) going down the road since the sidewall pieces always squeaked but now I know how to fix it!  I am definitely going to be pulling the windows, resealing them and replacing all the plywood on the sidewalls!  That will be ‘easy’ to do… I’ll be done with this in about 3 years… :-(

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Adrian,

Would you mind posting the brand, style, and color of the replacement vinyl that you found for the ceiling. I have not found an exact match for mine. @"pairodice"

Thanks.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )