You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Learning my air system

The cold air in Florida this month has created serious air leaks for our 2009 Newell. I'm a novice here, and can't take the coach anywhere for the next six weeks or more as we are living in it as the renovation continues on the house. I'm looking up u-tube videos to start learning...
The 110 compressor was down to running every 15 minutes for 5 minutes, then the 110 compressor solenoid started purging continuously again. I have a leak at the inbound Valid slide manifold in the electronics bay. I've shut off the 110 compressors, took the door to 'manual' and using the engine air when we need air pressure for the toilet.
1. Trying to find the R1 tank so I can drain it - is it actually in the bay, because I sure can't find it.
2. Where can I locally source parts, or should I go to the internet.
3. What tools do I need?

I've included pictures of the Valid slide manifold
.docx Valid slide inbound manifold.docx Size: 1,016.41 KB  Downloads: 67

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

Dave,

As you have figured out the cold weather wreaks havoc on the air systems. Rubber seals that are fine at normal temps are stiffer when it gets cold and let air out.

Another problem when the cold weather hits is water will freeze in the lines and will sometimes burst components.

If you will get a bottle of kids bubble solution (Dollar general) and coat the components, you will see where the air leak is.

Most of the connections that you have in your pictures are “push on” connectors that will eventually all cause problems. You want to find “D.O.T” rated connectors. Once installed they will last forever.

In older coaches, the 110 compressor fed to a tank located in the bay under the passengers seat. Can you take a picture of that bay?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have the front door, so I don't have a bay under the passenger. I checked the front of the coach and its all generator...

Dave,

You have two aux conpressors in the driver front bay, correct?

Look in the rear wheel well in front of the drive tire on the passenger side for a small tank.

As Bill said, everytime you find a leaking push on connector, replace it with a DOT compression fitting. I like McMaster Carr for sourcing those, but your local Fleetpride or Truck Pro will have them also. Do not use the compression fittings sourced from Home Depot/Lowes/Ace except in an emergency. They are not DOT rated.

You may have to replace than entire manifold in the first picture if you want to get away from plastic. Nothing complex about it at all.

In a pinch, you can pull the line out of the push on fitting and snip off 1/4 inch cleanly. Sometimes this will cure a leaking fitting, IF Newell left enough slack to reach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have 04 steerable tag, with Valid slides so it will be similar but different, I have a 12v and 120v compressor I think you have 2 120v compressors,  between rear axels I have 4 tanks ,front 2 parallel too frame are for air brakes, back 2 running 90 degrees to frame are for house, rear tank gets supplied from 120v compressor and from engine air dryer through a check valve, rear tank goes to front tank through a check valve, Newell says there should be a ball valve, mine never had one.  Rear tank goes too rear 6 pack front 6 pack for leveling,
Front tank gets air from 12v compressor and rear tank Newell calls this one the emergency tank
This one supplies air to the slide seals from the compartment behind my rear wheels. There is a valve in front of the controls which lets me isolate the seals from the rest of the coach, if the check valve is working properly when I shut the valve off I can watch the led pressure sensors and see how long it takes the 4 different seals and the controls for them too leak down.
Bodie air door
3/8 line going to generator air bags
1/4 line front seat, air horn
12 v compressor has a manifold 1 line going to front tank 
pressure regulator supplying toilets and pocket doors
I live in Canada, Newells do not like the cold. I have the cracked mirrors to prove it. My Shop is not big enough for my coach. I have put a ball valve in front of every air line leaving my tanks so I can turn things off ,when checking for air leaks (I like using a bubbler ) and for the winter, being outside fixing air leaks when it is -20 is not fun. I have replumbed my coach so I can have air to just my slide seals, bodie door and front toilet from a separate compressor. I do not use the air tanks, water condenses in them freezes, plugs the drain valve, then plugs the air lines. Don't  ask me how I know.

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

I am currently rebuilding my 110v compressors and comp. bay so am running air systems off a 4.5 gal 65db. whisper quiet husky portable air compressor $230 at home depot. I pugged it into the engine bay input firewall pass. side works great and is quiet. I keep it under the pass side bedroom slide for weather, and keep it as a spare.  Might want to drain the separator by the air input (White canister) mine was full of rusty water.

Jeff and Emily Full timer lineman
2006 45’ #764  Cat C15 625
Vacaville California

Wow - thanks all, I can do some checking! I have a pancake I could use, or a great big compressor the former owner left me. The pancake has a built in regulator, I will have to verify the other one. I definitely have issues from the cold with that little manifold for the Valid slides. One of my tech friends said they use the same maniford for the Prevosts, and they leak there too. I think its a 3/8 input, the manifold has the four 1/4 output and not a bunch of room to try splitting it out.
Now that I've got the location of the tanks I can get somewhere!

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+mani...e&ie=UTF-8

Get one with threads and use compression DOT fittings.

@"rheavn" taught me to replace cracked plastic with metal.

Or order it all at one time.
https://www.mcmaster.com/air-manifolds/r...nifolds-7/
https://www.mcmaster.com/compression-fittings/

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I helped a friend with that same manifold.  We replaced every push in fitting AND shut off valve we could see in that compartment and his 2015 started holding air.  We sourced the replacement compression fittings and shut off valves from McMaster Carr.  The Valid shut off valves are plastic-----replace them with metal ball valves.

Once you get your coach air tight, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner and the enjoyment factor goes up accordingly.  If you just replace what leaks you will be chasing leaks forever----which is very frustrating!

Did I mention that I hate plastic..........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I ordered two 20 ton jacks, 25 feet of 1/4 tubing and a cutter. The 2nd and 3rd connections are leaking on the Valid manifold - 2nd is leaking at the brass and the 3rd is leaking at the tubing. We are trying to source a four out (1/4") one or two in (3/8") aluminum manifold.
.docx Valid slide manifold and possible replacement.docx Size: 590.68 KB  Downloads: 20

The MCMaster-Carr in the attachment is pricey ($72+) but includes brass connectors. We are looking at one manifold at Amazon that is all 1/4" to see if we could drill and tap one end to 3/8 NPT.

Amazon Viair manifold

I also looked in the last door on the passenger side which contains the 'Air in' with two filters and the (rear?) 6 pack. Drained both filters and no water, sprayed everything down, no bubbles.

Next week temps will be up and I will get under once the jacks arrive.