You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Under Pressure

Preface: I can hear the 120v pump running when I click the switch and there is definitely water in the tank the valves are correctly positioned in the bay to give me water to the interior, and the correct sporlan(?) valves are open on the water manifold. 

Issue 1: By ‘Under Pressure’ I meant that I am not getting much pressure out of my shower and kitchen sink using the 120v (headhunter?) water pump - the stinking 12v has never worked except for about 5 minutes after I replaced it and then I got sidetracked on more important issues (and work).  

Issue 2: When I turn on the 120v switch (using the inverter or plugged in to shore power/generator) the water ‘sometimes’ works, sometimes doesn’t.  

Issue 3: If I turn on the kitchen sink it will start to run (most of the time), then I can go into the bath and turn on the sink and it will start running fine with decent pressure (sometimes it will start without the kitchen sink going).  The Kitchen sink always has low pressure - not sure if there is a pressure valve somewhere that I’m not seeing.  Toilet: if I turn on the pump switch (near the microwave) the toilet usually (rarely) will flush with water.  It has been doing this for a while but it’s annoying on this trip not to have water or have to chase it down to get the toilet to flush!  

Wow, I didn’t realize I had so many issues! Lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Change your water filter. Install a temp gauge on the bib faucet outlet in the water bay so you can see what the pressure is doing. Clean the screens on the kitchen faucet outlet.

What is the water behavior when hooked to city water?

That year coach did not come with a headhunter pump. If you have one it is a change from original. The coach came with a grundfos 120 pump

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, I’ll check those during the week when it warms up above 40 outside - or wait until I get back in my nice, warm storage building!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Updating this issue (all about water pumps on 478):
I definitely have a Headhunter Mach 5: M5 - 115/60 Serial 0505-006552G so must have been replaced. Btw, their URL is www.headhunterinc.com
When I turn the HH pump on and run water it will run just fine but when I try to use the toilet it does not flush fully. For some dumb reason I didn’t ask the gurus here and bought a rebuild kit for the air/water valve… I didn’t end up needing that so now have a spare :-)
I was able to (finally) get the 12-volt water pump working (wiring issues) and now the toilet works fine!
It seems like the HH pump is losing suction or maybe sucking in air somewhere but I don’t see any leaks anywhere.
I also added a hose bib water pressure meter and it shows about 40psi on the HH (and shore connection) and about 30 on the 12-volt pump.
I have to figure out a way to test the HH pump and where it is leaking or maybe it just needs to be primed more… any suggestions welcome and I’m looking through all the other threads on this subject.
I can’t believe it’s been 8 months since I last updated this thread but the coach has been sitting very happily in its enclosed storage building and it has been WAY too hot to work on it in there… I need to plumb the generator/AH exhaust out the top of the building/door so I can cool it down in the coach lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

As usual I am confused. You said the HH runs fine when you run water. You say the HH produces 40 psi at your bib gauge. Why do you think you have an HH problem? Does it cycle on and off frequently? Does it loose prime when running?

Sometimes, too high of a water pressure or too low air pressure will cause the Microphor valve to jam. Describe what the potty is doing when trying to flush on the HH please. Does the potty misbehave when hooked to city water? Are you running the HH off of the fresh water tank or off the city water inlet?

Don’t read sarcasm into my comments because I don’t mean the questions sarcastically. You may have more information than contained in your posts.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I'm curious - I thought the HH pump was internally regulated to about 60 psi.

I've been going through issues with my half bath toilet. AnnaMaria and John at Mullaney & Associates felt that 60 psi water pressure was too high relative to the air pressure after I rebuilt the sequencer valve and had problems. I ended up putting an adjustable water pressure regulator on that circuit to be certain that wasn't the issue (I dismissed how it could have worked previously as well as how the rear toilet works perfectly with no regulator).

After rebuilding the sequencer with the original center body section several times it would work only on the 12 volt lower pressure water pump. As soon as I turned on the HH, the flapper would open and then nothing else would happen...ever. Thought was the water pressure was overpowering the air pressure on the internal spindle.

When rebuilding (too many times to count), I would discover the spindle had blown thru the top section of the sequencing valve as if I assembled it incorrectly. It turns out the combination of too much water pressure and a lifed-out sequencer body was to blame.

Now, with a new sequencer body, a lot of patient (very/extreeemely patient) trouble shooting and instruction from AnnaMaria and John, my 1/2 bath toilet is working...with the pressure regulator set to 40 PSI for the water and my air tanks drained of water/moisture (very important).

Another important thing to know is the actual water pressure relative to the air pressure. I estimate air must be higher by 10-20 psi but would submit to Richard and Tom due to their vast experience.

I don't know if this will help, but it can't hurt.

Good luck!

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

David,

Me thinks you are now the expert on the Microphor.

Seriously my experience mirrors yours. I have not had luck rebuilding old sequencing valves. The behavior would be exactly the same as you described. The toilet would jam open, or jam on the water fill segment of the cycle. After a guest, unaware of the flaky behavior of the toilet, caused a minor flood, I bit the bullet and replaced both valves with new. Pricey, but I didn’t want to go through that again.

Like you, I became very practiced at getting them apart. I tried different lubes, o rings from different sources, and playing with air pressures. All with unreliable results.

Thank you for posting, perhaps this will help Adrian.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks - and I’ll add that I highly recommend the extra $40 air hose upgrade AnnaMaria has. I would probably have set my Coach on fire in frustration if I didn’t have those hoses and ferrules. They are flexible so they are way easier to work with.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Thanks for the advice!
To clarify:
The city water (hose) works fine with the toilet (and shower, sinks, etc.)
The 12-volt pump works fine also with the toilet (and shower, sinks, etc.)
The Headhunter works fine with the shower,sinks, etc. except it spits air every once in a while and does not have a lot of pressure; the toilet worked with it this morning but it’s usually intermittent; if we run water in the sink for a couple seconds it (usually) will flush…
PS. Last time I called (a few weeks ago) Mullaney said they were back-ordered on the valves - ymmv

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I came really close to attempt rebuilds and then discovered playing with the adjusting g nut and running extra soft water this summer has helped my total water flow issues! For what that's worth.

However, my 3 yr old HH is out of commission. I've replaced the pressure switch and that fixed my intermittent switch function for about a week. Now it just keeps throwing the breaker. HH says I must air in my system, but I haven't fooled with it to that extent. Next may be a new brain board ($195) and new filters (any numbers and $). Thoughts guys?
Hope I didn't hijack this.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)