You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Access Under Couch/Sofa?

Is there an easy way to access under the couch/sofa to rewire my teddy heater? Aside from removing the couch completely?

I need to recrimp and tighten up the fan(s) wiring on the heater and the wiring faces the exterior wall. Not enough room to get to it with the sofa flat. Going in from the side doesn't work either.

Would be nice if the seat cushions came off.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Pull the drawers completely out. At each end of the sofa you will find two lag screws that hold the couch to the floor. Remove them. Then you can lift the sofa straight up out of the wooden frame it sits in. Helps if you have two people, or strong as an ox.

The seat cushions are permanently attached from the bottom. Don’t try to forcibly remove them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Looks like I have a metal framed sleeper sofa and their are 4 lag screws holding it to the floor. That sound reasonable?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Rick, that's all it is holding the couch down. I removed mine to get reupholstered. Honestly, it's the only real way to get anything serviced under the couch. Just pull it out. Save your neck and back from working through the drawer openings.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,
Way too funny! Today while working on the fan issue, I pulled off one wire from the motor accidentally and worked through the drawers, half opened sofa bed and vent/filter at the end to get it back on. I should have been a contortionist! Not really!!

Thanks all,

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Just make sure if you raise the jack knife sofa that it doesn’t come down on your head (don’t ask how I know this)! Put a block (not your head) to hold it up just in case.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Too late... got halfway stuck underneath and almost couldn't develop enough leverage to lift it again. Funny in retrospect.. at the time, not so much.

Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Well, this was me working under there before deciding it was time to remove it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

So, just fired up the fan under the couch for the heat.

Isn't running, again. This was another item the factory "fixed" on my visit.

So, if I remove the motor fan end cover and press VERY lightly on the spindle shaft straight in or upward, it works perfectly. As soon as I let go. It stops.

Any ideas, aside from remove/replace?

I tried lubricating the shaft, but no change.

Maybe something to add a tiny bit of pressure upwards on the fan itself or inward on the shaft?

Ideas?

Trip begins on November 17 to Santa Fe, so I'd like that to work!

Thanks!!!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

DC motor, right? Check to make sure brushes are making contact

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )