You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Who has a Cat 3208 Diesel engine?

Who here has a caterpillar 3208 diesel, I’m looking for the dip switch code on back of the Stewart Warner rpm gauge with pulse generator. Some are wired to the alternator but mine has a pulse generator that works off the cam. The PO replaced the rpm gauge and didn’t set the dip switches properly. I’m getting 700 rpm at idle and 1600 rpm at about 60 mph. It doesn’t seem correct. (4 speed Allison tranny). Thanks in advance

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

That is exctly where our Detriot Diesel spins off a 4 speed Allison.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

As I remember 
That’s real close to correct

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Good news
I purchased an inexpensive laser rpm meter so that I could measure the rpm right at the crank pulley.
At idle I measured 966 average. Then I manipulated the dip switches to read the exact same rpm as the laser tool. Then I had the boss hold the rpms at 2000 and 1500 and I measured each with the laser tool confirming each setting. Just to make sure, I measured another vehicle from the crank pulley and the readings were consistent with the rpm gauge in that vehicle to test the laser tool. Now that I have confirmation of the rpms, I now can calculate the differential ratio and set the idle speed accordingly with the 643 transmission.

Thank y’all for all your encouragement and help.
Mike

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

For future reference- bluebird Wanderlodge and early Foretravel have the 3208s

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty-sold
Foretravel
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Ernie Ekbergs Flooring on Facebook
[email protected]

Mike, awesome tool. Without an electronic engine, that's probably the most accurate way to measure RPM, and it's cheap!

$24 and it's eligible for Prime. https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20713A-Digi...RydWU&th=1

About this item
TACHOMETER VS. SPEEDOMETER: While a digital speedometer will read the current speed of a vehicle, this automotive tachometer is used for measuring the rpm of a revolving shaft, as with the driveshaft of an automobile.
ACCURATE RPM METER: This handheld tachometer is highly accurate and noncontact. With high-speed laser-aim operation and instant readings from 2.5 to 99,999 rpm, this radar gun gives you accurate rotational speed readings from a distance.
AUTOMOTIVE TACHOMETER GAUGE: This big- or small-engine tachometer measures velocity in revolutions per minute. The information is displayed on a large and easy-to-read LCD screen.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: This pocket radar device is accurate to +/- 0.05% and is capable of measuring at a distance from 2" to 20". It measures revolutions over a 1-second sampling time and stores them as the last, minimum, or maximum reading.
COMPACT DIGITAL COUNTER: The compact, lightweight design of this photo tachometer makes it easy to get speed readings for diagnostic and measurement purposes. This device operates on 3 AA batteries (included).

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Great news Mike!!!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Jon and Clarke,
Awesome information guys.

Thanks Ernie for the wanderlodge and foretravel
Heads up.

I appreciate everyone.

Y’all are the best.
Mike

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike, we are very fortunate to have such an awesome group for assistance. I had a 1973 Newell with a Cat 1160, the predecessor to the 3208, back in the '90s before the forum existed. Life would have been much easier with help from the forum!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon, yes old school is best imho, There was talk of a 30’ Classic 1974 non diesel that was available in KC. I have all the running gear, tires and parts to rehab that one. Tried to contact the owner but no reply as of yet. If the interior is decent, I could make it work. I was reading your adventure with your 86. Am encouraged by your patience and perseverance in your repower in spite of the medical roadblocks.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)