You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1983 Classic - Window ID and Leaks

Hi Everyone,

I've got an interesting issue with my 1983 restoration.  I'm in the process of repairing a bunch of floor rot and with all that old sub floor out of the way and some heavy rain, I can now see that a lot of the water is coming from the windows.  So with that in mind, I decided to focus my attention on the windows and start looking in to removing, rebuilding and resealing them.  All the felt window channel is worn out, but all the windows still slide decent except the driver's window is kind of tough.

This coach has the parallelogram, or "go fast" windows as I've heard some say on this forum.  I'm trying to determine what brand they are.  I'm pretty sure they are not the Peninsula windows that lots of folks have. The only thing I can find is the glass specs and on the latches I think it says Le Van.  Google search indicates that this was a window company that made some automotive sliding windows but there is very little info on that.

I pulled one out and found some interesting things.  I know that these windows are supposed to have weep holes, but this particular one out of the bathroom has some "extra" holes in the bottom corners.  It almost looks like they were drilled after the fact.  If I am looking at this right, this is just going to allow water to run right down on top of the frame underneath the window and cause water to come in pretty much exactly where mine is rotted out.  Wonder if anyone has see this before?  Maybe the old window track seal was supposed to seal it?  I'm thinking I'll probably just caulk them shut when I put the window back but just wasn't sure.

So that brings me to the last dilemma - window channels.  If my research is correct, this stuff is called window run channel and comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  I found some at Steele Rubber that I think might work. Here is a link. https://www.steelerubber.com/uchannel-70-3572-256.  My channel width is around 7/16 wide by 7/16 high and the glass is .220 in or about 7/32 in thick, so that falls about right in line with the specs on that stuff.  Also they say the below statement which really sounds like what I've got here: 

"Use where a mohair-lined channel is needed to eliminate rattle and provide a smooth sliding surface to protect the glass. Ideal for mid-1970's GMC motorhome channels for sliding glass windows. Replaces originals that were rubber-coated mesh metal."

The description and the fact that they mention GM buses (This thing has a lot of GM parts on it including apparently the windshield), makes me think it might work.  Also LeVan windows were used in GM vehicles back in the day apparently.

Anyway,  Anyone have any experience with trying to use this stuff?

Here's what the current channels look like:

I called Newell today and started working with them on trying to get some info on this coach so I can maybe order a windshield and some other parts as well.  If they get back up with me before I receive my stuff from Steele, I'll ask them about it too.

I'll let ya'll know what I find out and thanks in advance for any info!

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

The windshields are readily available. Had mine replaced 5 years ago through Nomad Glass (nomadglass.com). They're out of Idaho, but I came in contact with them in Quartzite, AZ at the annual Big White Tent RV show. They had the windshields ordered and on site within 2 days.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Hey Wil,
How deep is the flooring, or how many layers of plywood in the bathroom, I have a soft spot in the bathroom and will need to replace the flooring. Hopefully I can get to it all from the top. Any ideas would be helpful.
Mike

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Thanks for the replies folks!  Good to know about the windshields Clarke.  I'll check that out.

Hey Mike - The floor in mine is (or was) just 3/4 inch plywood, but what they did was staple some 16ga. aluminum to the bottom of the plywood before they put it in, so that is why you see that aluminum in the pics.  I pried up the wood and left the metal.  That way down under the bottom everything still looks the same and you have that protection.  

There are metal braces that run across between the walls of your water bay that the floor is screwed to.  The plywood goes under the wall and lays on a piece of 2x2 (ish) angle iron.  From that angle iron to the first brace on mine is 10in and the next one is at 24.

I took some pics for you since I happen to have just cut the floor out yesterday.  Don't be like me though and not think about where the braces are before you cut, otherwise you will end up with no support under your floor seam.  I may have to cut out to the next brace.  My rot goes into the coach pretty far though.  Yours may not.    You should be able to see all this from the basement though so I'd take some measurements beforehand.  

Oh and the way I cut out the floor was to just set my skill saw to exactly the thickness of the plywood and then plunge cut what I could.  Then I just finished it with an oscillating saw.  From what I have seen with mine it's pretty standard thickness sub floor.  I'm putting back Advantech which is waterproof and it is the same thickness minus the vinyl.

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

Thank you Wil you are awesome!!!!!

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

here is an old thread on another forum that talks about classic window channel felt.

tom

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/for...php?t=5377

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Here's another thread on this site that has a successful rebuild of classic windows plus additional tales of woe. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2319

I've decided that I'll replace all mine with double pane tinted low e.

There's also Pat and Wrenda's '83 @"OldSchool" where they replaced all their windows with rectangular frames.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

i replaced all the windows in my 90 with new penninsula windows. it was pricey

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for all the replies folks! I think I might be on the right track. I have a couple different sizes of channel coming. I really thing that the product in the link below is the exact type of product that is in the old windows now, but I need 7/16 X 7/16 and I can't seem to find that (yet). I have some coming tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

https://jjautofabrics.com/2161-universal...uous-yard/

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

Wil, keep us updated on how that goes. I believe Newell changed window manufacturers between 1983 and 1986 but it's worth a shot.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad