You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Results of working on air system--6 years

Back in 2016 I spent the winter working on my air system.  The first thing I did was replace all of the push in fittings with D.O.T. compression type air fittings.  My next process was to begin looking for air leaks.  I started by making a schematic of where the air line went so I could isolate the different components in the house air system.  These schematics have proven to be very helpful reference material in keeping my air system as leak free as possible.  As I tested each air line on the house side of the coach using a leak down tester, I  didn't consider the air line leak free until I got it to losing less than one pound of air loss in an hour.  This process took a considerable amount of time, but only a few dollars for the compression fittings.  Final result was the 110V air compressor running twice in 24 hours.  By far the most useful tool I used was the leak down tester.

Results after 6 years.   My 110V compressor still only runs twice a day if no usage.  In the last six years I have had 2 air leaks.  The first was the HWH compressor unloading valve.  The second was the bedroom slide seal developed a very small leak.  Using my schematics I was able to identify both air leaks in under ten minutes without getting under the coach.  I have not found a single air leak coming from any of the compression fittings that replaced the push in fittings.

Hopefully this will encourage the DIYers to eliminate your air leaks.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Any chance you would post the schematics?Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I posted my very amateur schematics back in 2016 in the documentation section of this forum.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

We're these the ones? Did i miss any?

Figured i could save folks the trouble of finding the old post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Those are a couple of the ones that I posted.  But remember what I posted may or may not be how your coach is plumbed.  Just use them as a guide as you make your own. It will be time well spent.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Definitely, every coach is different!

I only saw two of them in all the threads i checked... could you point me to the others and I'll repost them here so people can easily find them. They are a GREAT starting point.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Go to the "Documentation" section of this forum.  Look for threads that I posted in the "air operated systems & leaks" section.  An example would be the thread
"Schematic of 12V air pump system"

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
When you changed all your push-to-connect air fittings to compression fittings.  Do you recall how many there were and what sizes you used?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

My coach is plumbed with mainly 1/4" air lines.  I didn't keep track of how many fittings it took to complete the changeover.  I started by getting the 12V air system air tight as it is kept separate from the main system by a 60 lb check valve.  By starting with that system you will end up checking almost every house system.  But don't stop there.  I then went to the rear six pack in the right side engine compartment and began checking every thing including the six pack, air dryer, etc.  Kept moving forward from the engine to a air system shut off point that is mounted half way toward the front of the coach.  From there I went to the right front basement compartment, where my 110V air compressor is mounted, and worked my way back to the shut off point half way back under the coach.  Still not done!  Inside the coach there are your air gauges, parking brake valve and brake pedal valve.  Once this adventure was over, I was amazed at how many air leaks I had fixed and how seldom my air pump ran.   

Newell changed to 3/8" air lines during the 2000 coach run which caused the air system to respond quicker, but required more volume.  As Newell added more slides, air door and toilets, the 12V air pump could not keep up.  They started taking away air circuits from the 12V system and connecting them to the main air system.  At some point the 12V pump was eliminated and everything was run through the main air system with two 110V air pumps.  Maybe around 2004????

Hope this helps............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Nov 2004 712 steerable tag still had 12v pump but only 4 air tanks 2 brake 1 12v compressor tank 1 110v compressor tank

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8