You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for the right coach

Hello,

I am a new member and have been super impressed with the knowledge and willingness of the Newell Gurus to share with newbies like me. I hope to learn from your real-world experiences.

My wife and I are seriously studying and evaluating Class A's to move to from our existing GMC Dually and Vanleigh 42ft fifth wheel trailer. We bought both the truck and fifth wheel new in 2021 and used it quite a bit in the last year on some great adventures to New Hampshire, Maine, Mackinaw and the UP of Michigan, Savannah GA, Hershey PA, Ashville NC and Seaside FL. We travel with our two German Shorthaired Pointers (Addie and Scout). We are NOT full timers but would like to spend a month or so on the road 4-5 times a year and then come back to our home base near Nashville TN. I do not work from the road all the time... but I can work from the road part of the time so that is helpful.

What we have discovered is that while the dually and 5er are very capable, comfortable and provide a lot of living space once we are set up... driving and parking a long-bed dually once we get to a destination is not optimal. We would prefer to be able to flat our Jeep Gladiator which is easier to maneuver, park in small towns and get off-road some too once we get set up at a campground. We enjoy getting out on the National Forest roads as well as going to dinner or shopping in downtown areas and the dually is not optimal for those purposes. As we spent several months looking at the "nicer" DP production coaches... the quality and longevity for the $ just isn't there so that is what has led us to where we are now: shopping for a used 2005-2008 Newell Coach. We have also looked at 2003-2007 Prevost XLII's but the living space in the Newell's seem to better fit our likes and needs.  

Here are a couple of my mechanical questions as I am learning about the Newell production years from studying several of the insights here on the forum: 
  1. CAT C-15 engine: any watch outs for those (are they as reliable as the Detroit Series 60's in the Prevost conversions)?
  2. ZF vs. Allison transmission should I look for one over the other... I know they are different designs and preference may "depend" but looking for general reliability and robustness of each since I am familiar with Allison but not ZF
  3. Slide seals and cost to replace: I know these are normal wear items so interested in the cost to have them replaced when it comes time to do so. It is around $4,500 - $5,000 per seal on the Prevost from my research there...
  4. Any other key pointers that you would advise
A usability question that we would appreciate insights from the forum is: How is it to maneuver and actually use a 45' Newell coach at campgrounds, and backroads vs. only interstate highways and large pull-through site motor coach resorts? We do look forward to enjoying the upscale resorts in a beautiful Newell coach but we also enjoy "getting off the beaten path and into nature" that campgrounds, KOAs, BLM / National Forests, state and national parks, etc have to offer. What has been your experience with these types of scenarios? Are these doable in a large coach? Driving and towing our 42' 5er was an adjustment in the beginning but it is no big deal now that I am used to the rig... should I expect the same with a 45' coach? I have heard the adage that "they can go anywhere a firetruck can go... so don't worry about it".

We would really appreciate any insights that you all are willing to share.

Thank you!
2BD's

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

For your entertainment, look at the travel log section. You will find 8 years of extended trips of 5 to 6 months that Rhonda and I have taken. You can look at those itineraries and get an idea of all the places we have parked a 45 Newell without steerable tag. Google earth, Big Rigs Best Bets, and a personal call to the campground are the key tools that Rhonda uses when selecting a campground. I have NO issue driving a two lane road so I wouldn’t necessary categorize the Newell as an interstate queen. If you can back a fiver, you can easily back into a spot with a 45 coach. Rhonda is an excellent spotter, knows what the coach will and won’t do, and always stands so I can see her in the mirrors. If I am unsure, I stop. She will come to the window, and we talk about my concerns. That technique avoids the campground drama that we sometimes observe.

We do not visit many State Parks because of their length limitations. Very few National Parks have an inside park that will hold a 45 footer, but almost all have campgrounds outside the entrances. Although we have stayed at Grand Canyon Village several times. If there is somewhere neat that we can’t get the coach close to, we have no objections for taking the toad and staying at a B&B, tent camping, or backpacking. I don’t consider us tethered to the coach.

The Newell or Prevost will be a LOT more maintenance than you are used to with the fiver. If you are handy, understand electricity, and willing to learn, the maintenance can be an entertaining hobby. If you expect a Newell or Prevost to be like a Honda with regard to maintenance, you will be very unhappy.

The factory provides good service, and this forum helps many who wish to handle it themselves.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard for sharing those great insights... I am handy and and have a shop at the home base and I agree wrenching is actually a fun past time when you have the right tools and experience. It helps me to really learn and know my vehicles and in this case my coach. I have heard nothing but GREAT reviews on Newell service in the case there is something I can't handle. My wife and I have become a pretty good team when it comes to backing into some pretty tight spots... so really good to hear it should be similar in a 45ft coach. I really appreciate you sharing your experience as we evaluate this sizable investment in our future adventures.

Take care and safe travels! 

Paul

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Update: from "Looking for" to "Found" the right coach. We spent the weekend with some really wonderful folks... Ray and Tammy... they went over every system, feature and were extremly transparent about everything on the coach. It performs so well in every type of driving environment and I drove in all of them with great coaching from Ray... from city streets, Smoky Mountain back roads, state highways and interstate. We feel very fortunate to have met some new friends and now have "Boomer" Coach #1202 joining in our adventures!
Thank you to everyone on the forum that replied with your insights as well as all of the super helpful info you have posted on the forum through the years - I spent many hours reading and learning from your knowledge and I look forward to continuing to do so in the future as we get to know Boomer inside and out. 
Safe travels!

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Congratulations Paul and Angi. I know you will enjoy your Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Congratulations !!!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Paul and Angi - to quote my little brother "cool"
Now my equivalent response - "awesome, magnificent, all right!" fist pumps, grinning and more...

What is your first trip going to be and where are you located?

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Thank you all... we are super excited!!!  
Our home base in about 35 miles outside of Nashville, TN. Our first trip is probably going to be close to home for an initial shake down.  We would love to be taking Boomer to Savanah next week where we are staying at Skidaway Island State Park... but I am still waiting on some of my toad gear to arrive from eTrailer... so we are going to be taking our Vilano fifth wheel for its final trip. We have trips planned for this fall in New Hampshire and Winter in Arizona. We are still working on our Spring and Summer plans since I have some medical stuff coming up in late April that will hamper me for a few months.... but after that adventure will be the name of the game for us! 
This group has been super helpful to us as we have studied and studied to find the right coach... I look forward to continuing to learn from y'all and hope to meet you down the road.

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Congrats on the buy! That didn't take long.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Congratulations and welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312