You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

time to find an alternative to 6 pack manifold solenoid air valves

hi all,

there has been much discussion among us over the years as to the price of the air valves that have the solenoids on them on the 6 pack manifold front and rear. some coaches have 18 of them, some have 12. they go for 120 bucks apiece.

most of us have bought one or two over the years. i bought a complete air suspension setup that was new old stock for a monaco a year ago that had 6 of them on a hwh manifold. they have a different looking coil, but the round valve body is the same.

the HWH part number is RAP1940. so far we have only found them direct from HWH or from Newell.

i talked to HWH and showed them a picture of the ones i got from the manifold i bought and they said they used that coil for a little while.

richard figured out a way to rebuild the seal/seat, which is what leaks on these things over time. but, since high quality MAC valves are like 40 bucks it seems like we should be able to find a suitable substitute for what we have.

i have seen 3 different version of the same valve. the originals were KIP valves (but what i think is that the metal, actual valve body with the seals on have been made by the same company all along and that the solenoid is the piece that changes.) the original one appears to be brass and the newer one is a silver color.

the original ones on my 02 are this and the new one i bought from newell was the same

av a5983-103

12v 9.5w (the detrol one i have is 16w)

125 psi

3/32 orfice

the ones i got on the NOS manifold had a Detrol Fluids product solenoid on it. i called and talked to them and sent pictures and they said they still make the solenoid. and they said they used to bundle it with the valve body but do not any more. they said the metal valve body was made by firestone. they said they would see if they could get a part number for the valve body but i am not optimistic.

what we need almost all the time is the valve body and not the solenoid, you can reuse that..

so can we pool our resources and big brains to find it somewhere?

i will contact firestone and see if anyone can help me there.

any other thoughts?

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

oh yea, dont tell darlene i set the valve on our leather family room couch to take the pictures.....

tom

Tom, do you know the specs on the valve body? Such as fitting size that screws into the manifold?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

the threaded piece is 1/8" NPT.

tom

Looks like most of the solenoid valves available are not designed to be mounted onto a manifold but screwed into pipe fittings. Wonder if there is any way to adapt these to our manifolds? There are many manufacturers of valves that may work if we can figure out the mounting.
Haven't found any individual valves yet.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Tom, By any chance is this the type of valve your looking for?
http://www.ussolid.com/1-4-electric-sole...water.html

same thing: http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Solenoid-...B007N0DN3Q

Jimmy

hi jimmy

what i am looking for is the metal valve body that has the inner and outer o rings and that screws into the 6 pack. what you showed doesnt match at all.

look at my pictures of just the metal piece

tom

hi all,

i am not trying to redesign the 6 pack. rather i am trying to find a source for the valves we have that doesnt cost us 120 bucks apiece.

tom

Tom since you have a spare 6 pack to play with do you think one of these valves like what Jimmy listed could work if you use a nipple to attach it to the manifold?
Probably not but I'm bored....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i dunno. dont have desire to redesign. want to just find a cheaper source.

tom