You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Intermittent Inverter Error 6159

Have any gurus seen “6159 - unknown error” on SilverLeaf panel for inverter error? I have an intermittent error that comes and goes… not sure what is cause and haven’t figured out the performance issue it creates either. I will try to post a picture of my SilverLeaf panel with the error. Thanks for any insights.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Probably some wiring terminal got loose. Check wiring connectivity.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Thanks Kaptain. Should I start with the SilverLeaf panel and pull it out to check for loose connections or down in the inverter bay as well (there are a ton of connections down there but I suppose I have to learn them at some point) Smile

The MATE panel for the Outback Inverter control does not show any errors or warnings so I am a bit stumped as to how to locate the cause of the issue. Thanks again.

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

According to the Newell build sheet, your 2007 coach 1202 is equipped with 3x Outback 3000 Watt Inverter/Charger Stacked And Paralleled for 120/240 Volts, for a total of 9000 watts AC output.
Each of these individual inverters comes with its own display panel. Check to see if any of your inverters produce an error code when your 6159 code comes upon on your SilverLeaf. If all your inverts work normally, check and see if the 6159 error comes up in battery charge mode, or in battery power draw mode. 
I recommend buying a wire tracer to check for connectivity/faulty/short/open wires. In the meantime, did you call Newell and ask what does 6159 code means?

Do you know your Outback inverter model and have their manuals? 
If you don't, then post your inverter model & year, and I'll try to locate the manuals for you.

Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Thank you Joe. I will get the inverter info as soon as I can and post it here. 
The MATE panel does not show any errors or warnings so it looks like the inverters are working ok and it may be an issue with the SilverLeaf panel. I called SilverLeaf and spoke with Tim and he is doing some research on the 6159 error code. He was stumped at the fact that the error was on the SilverLeaf but nothing on the Outback Mate panel.
I will also try Newell but owner I purchased from said he had them check it when he had it in Miami OK for service and they were not able to figure out what was causing issue. 
I am looking into upgrading the panel but waiting to hear back from Tim at SilverLeaf on if my coach has RV-C or not. 
Thanks for your help!

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Thank you Joe. I will get the inverter info as soon as I can and post it here. 
The MATE panel does not show any errors or warnings so it looks like the inverters are working ok and it may be an issue with the SilverLeaf panel. I called SilverLeaf and spoke with Tim and he is doing some research on the 6159 error code. He was stumped at the fact that the error was on the SilverLeaf but nothing on the Outback Mate panel.
I will also try Newell but owner I purchased from said he had them check it when he had it in Miami OK for service and they were not able to figure out what was causing issue. 
I am looking into upgrading the panel but waiting to hear back from Tim at SilverLeaf on if my coach has RV-C or not. 
Thanks for your help!

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Ok, I didn't know the MATE panel = display panel on the Outback. So it's clear that you don't see any error messages on inverter display when the 6159 error shows up on the SilverLeaf panel.
I don't know how easy for you to swap the positions (or re-route the wiring) of the 3 Outback. If you can, pull out and move #1 to position #3, and #3 to position #1.
Now check and see if you still get the same "6159 at #1". If you still do get the exact same error pointing #1 inverter, then you know is not the inverter issue at all, it's likely a wiring issue.
However, if you now get the error that says "6159 at #3", then it is likely that the inverter (originally at #1 position, now at #3) is faulty intermittently because the error message still pointing to that inverter now at position 3.

It could be a bad switch or a reluctant (marginally work and then no work) relay, besides all the previously mentioned possibilities. 
As I found on a document with SPN [Suspect Parameter Number] = 6159, it points to "switch strip".

So, if you have tried swapping positions of the inverter and still have not found the cause, swap the positions of the relays that control the inverters and re-check.

Check fuse connections as well. Sometimes it can become rusty due to excessive moisture, leading to poor connection.

After some troubleshooting this afternoon I have a an update... answer first: The 6159 error appears to be (as Joe mentioned in his 4/5 post) related to the charger being being "deactivated" and system in power draw mode. It goes away when charger is active. 

I did talk with Robert at Newell and Tim at SilverLeaf again today. I got to experience first hand how well the Newell team really know these coaches... Robert guided me through rebooting my SilverLeaf TM-102 and helped troubleshoot the Outback Mate to SilverLeaf comms board (which involved taking down the driver side cabinet to get to the wires in the bulkhead) all those checked out.

So this evening as I was thinking about Joe's post... I went back through all the Mate Setting screens and the SilverLeaf and I figured out how to turn on the charge mode on the SilverLeaf panel. I switched it from "Disabled" to "Lo Bulk Charge" and about 15 seconds later the error on the SilverLeaf went away and I got all green lights... the absorb timer is set to 2 hours on the Mate (I have not changed any parameters in the Outback Mate panel from how it was when I bought the coach). I need to learn more about absorb, equalize, float and re-float parameters for my battery bank set-up. I will have to wait an see if afer the 2 hours of absorb charging if the error comes back or not... so I am learning but not completely resolved yet. 

On a related but separate note... in talking with Tim at SilverLeaf we figured out that my TM-102 is RV-C so I am going to be able to upgrade to the newer version SilverLeaf panel. He is shipping it out tomorrow and it should be fairly plug and play from what he shared with me during our conversation. 

I am super appreciative of all the insights y'all have taken time to share with me. I actually enjoy learning the system details on my coach and there are plenty of systems to learn for sure.

Thanks again and I will post updates as I learn more.

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

All good this morning! I still have the charge mode in “Lo Bulk”. Got the Smiley Face on the SilverLeaf panel and the batteries are in float charge mode and all green lights. 
It looks like the error was related to not charging while on shore power (due to that setting being in the “disabled” mode).
I’ll post again if anything changes but I hope to is is resolved at this point.
Thanks again and safe travels!

Paul and Angi
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad