You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hey all, my name is Dan. I’ve been lurking/ looking for a while. I currently own an 88 beaver Marquis, and want to upgrade. We travel with our Dobermans, and need more room. I’ve been looking at super “C”s, Foretravel, Newmar and Newell. My wife says I have champaign taste on a beer budget. Mostly true, but I want quality. Trying to stay under $150k so I know my choices are limited. I just found a 2002 Newell quad slide. Seller says the air system for the slides doesn’t work, so the slides don’t work either. How big a job might this be?i Dan

Dan,
Welcome Aboard to the group. You do have good taste in RVs.
That issue is hard to diagnose without looking at it or asking pointed questions for you or someone to answer.
I have a 2001 2 slide. Mine are hydraulic with pneumatic seals keeping the weather out.
Do all of the other air systems work? This could be as simple as a fuse or as complicated as a wallet will allow.

Do you have a coach number for it? It's the last 3 digits of the vin.
Where are you and the coach located?
Someone here may be able to tell you some history of that coach if we knew the number.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

We can help you better if we know more about your mechanical, electrical, and troubleshooting skills. Any Newell requires lots of maintenance. You either have to do it yourself or have very deep pockets. They are more like spaceships than Honda’s. High end quality does not equal little maintenance. Just the opposite is true.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I knew I would need more information to diagnose the problem. I’m in South Carolina and the motorhome is in Florida. I don’t have a vin number yet. I will ask more questions and post what I learn thanks, Dan

I just got a reply from the seller. It is coach 629. Any info you gurus might have would be appreciated, Dan

Looks like Newell 629 was listed for sale last year, or 9 months ago.
See thread here:
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6170

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

I have seen this coach, about three years ago. Needs a lot of work from lack of maintenance.

There is value in the coach------you are just going to have to figure out at what price point.

jmho.........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks for the info. They are asking $69,900. I think if I could get that down a little, I could make a nice coach out of it, but I’m 685 miles away. I don’t want to drive that far for nothing. I’m going to see if I can get some current pictures of the interior. They say it drives good Dan

dobebus Wrote:Thanks for the info. They are asking $69,900. I think if I could get that down a little, I could make a nice coach out of it, but I’m 685 miles away. I don’t want to drive that far for nothing. I’m going to see if I can get some current pictures of the interior. They say it drives good Dan

I can understand it costs fuel and time to drive that far, for the outcome of a no-deal.
However, it can cost much more if the decision to purchase is made based on the photos provided.
With that said, and at the price of $70k, I think the odds are in your favor.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Dan,

Let me ask again what your level of mechanical and electrical experience is. You could easily drop 50k or more into that coach to make it road worthy IF you have to pay someone else to do the work. It is priced way below market for a REASON.

On the other hand, if you have the time, the expertise, and the willingness to learn, it could be a way of getting into a Newell at a good price point.

You might want to read the entire section of Things to Consider when Purchasing a Used Newell.

That coach is 10 times more complex than your 88 Beaver. Not knocking your Beaver, just saying don't project maintenance costs based upon your Beaver ownership.

No way would I consider even a deposit on that coach without a hands on inspection.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )