You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Windshield Wiper Issue

Had a wiper issue so I bought a brand new set of blade style wipers from AM Equipment and it did not fix my issue, it may be worse.  Blade makes full contact for 6 inches and then only makes contact for about six inches on top and bottom leaving the center roughly one foot completely untouched.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Just imagining the problem. The root cause is not enough force to hold the wiper against the glass.

The causes could be:
Wiper too long, longer than original spec
Wiper spine too stiff
Weak spring in pivot knuckle of wiper arm
Worn out shafts in wiper mountings, allowing shaft to angle down reducing force on the wiper

Breadcrumbs………..

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I had a 1960 El Camino with the same issue. Would not wipe the center of the blade. It was surprising hot delicate the balance between the springs are. All the twisting and stretching of the three springs on each arm only made things worse. In the end I found a source for OEM complete arms.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

What wiper length was original spec?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

I don’t know what OEM was, but the ones on my coach now are 28” in length with the one piece backbone instead of the traditional steel bridgework style spine. I am pretty sure I got them at Walmart.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here is the order information for the replacement arms from AM Equipment
====================================
States
Item Description Qty Taxable Unit Price Item Total
1 29" (730mm) Double Drive Arm, W 2 N US $70.59 US $141.18
29" (730mm) Double Drive Arm, Wet
Shipping: US $43.32
Total: US $184.50

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The replacement AM Equipment arms were same length as original.

I would think about trying different blades. The blades with the springs in them would prob conform to the window best, but I seem to remember having good luck with a blade without the springs.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The ones I'm attempting now are 24" from AM Equipment and I hated to go any smaller. Sounds like the first attempt needs to be at trying a different blade variety.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

I prefer a good coating of Rainx to using my perfectly functioning wipers but I'm special. My mom had me tested as a child. Try it .

1995 # 390

Not sure what type of testing your mom had you do....BUT
Rain-x is good stuff

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper