You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Middle Aged Crazy and looking

Thanks for the admission.   I've been looking at the big 3 for a couple of years now (BlueBird, Prevost, and Newell).  I'm old school and like mechanical engines and transmissions and will gladly take the mpg hit combined with the longevity/reliability when factored in to the age of the RVs in our price range.  It appears that 1987 is the last year for the mech 8v92s?  Is 60-65 mph reasonable with the Allison 740 with a toad? 
We've full-timed for years, years ago in a triple slide 5th wheel for work.  While the room was nice the finite lifespan due to construction quality  that was evident was not.  We don't need our next rig for full-time use but don't want cramped quarters since we have 3 dogs that are never left behind!  What is the headroom in the older Newells?  
I can't find a list of what models were offered.  Single, tag, tandem?  Locking differentials, layouts, lengths, etc.  Is there a post listing this information?

1987 and 1988 seemed to have a mixture of mechanical Detroits and DDEC Detroits. #146, a 1987 built for the Newell's owner Karl Blade had the DDEC engine. That may be the only 1987 with the DDEC Detroit. #176, a 1988 had a Detroit mechanical engine per a previous owner. Most of the 1986-1988 Newells that I have seen were 40' with a tag axle. However, in 1986, the earlier builds were primarily single rear axles and some of those were the 96' width. The widebody 102" was introduced early in the 1986 model year. The single rear axles were typically rated at 35,200 pounds GVWR. The widebodies are easily recognizable by a 6" glass section in the middle as they used the existing windshield from the narrow bodies. 1986 still had some coaches with the Cummins 903's installed although not many. Near the end of the 1986 model year saw the introduction of the tag axle adding about 10,000 pounds of GVWR. After the tag axle Newells were introduced, most were 40, although there were supposedly some 41 or 42 feet long and the single axles typically 38'. I am only personally aware of a three 1989 models without the tag axle. Length of Newells is harder to determine prior to the 1990 models because prior to that the length was not part of the VIN. #212 was the last 1989 model and the next to the last Classic body style. I am unaware of any Newell after the 2000 body style began (in 1990) with a mechanical engine. In 1990 the lengths began increasing 40, 42 and 43 foot beginning typical and 38' non tag units being very rare.

In the 1987 and 1988 models, the typical layout was a sofa with one or two barrel chairs with a table across from the sofa, although some coaches had opposing sofas, then a kitchen with a dinette across from it, then a mid bath and a rear bedroom with a n/s facing bed. 1988 had some J sofas. The mid baths were typically split with the shower behind a door on one side and the toilet and sink across the aisle in a separate room. There were a few that had the shower in the same room as the toilet and sink and closets across the mid aisle.

Hope that helps.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome !
We tow a 28 ft enclosed trailer , loaded . On generally flat and mildly hilly Interstate driving 60-65 is no problem.  In fact , I have to pay attention to keep speed under 70 . Tried to maintain 60-62 last weekend with today's fuel cost . Important to keep an eye on engine temp , especially in hill country. 
Approx 75 inch headroom at the air conditioners , close to 79 otherwise . Our coach is 102" wide , no tag axle . 
I like the Detroit two stroke Music , and activating  the Jake in a tunnel is irresistible....
Good luck!

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Thanks guys for the info.
So were all 102s 40' and larger, or did I read that wrong?
Do all Newells have a locking rear differential? I've seen pictures of 2 dashes that had switches for them.
Do all the 8v92s have Jakes?
Is there much ride comfort difference in single vs tandem axle rigs? I'm not a speed demon but would like a cushy ride due to a messed up back.

There are some 102" wide bodies that are less than 40' and are single rear axles but not alot of them were built. I have limited experience driving the single rear axle Newells but as I recall the ride was good but I think the tag axles track better. Hopefully Tom can chime in as he has owned both.

To the best of my knowledge, all the Detroits have jake brakes. I know that in later years the diff lock was an option, my '92 does not have it.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My '93 was 39' without a tag and did have a diff lock. Also 102" wide. I towed a Silverado 4x4 with a RZR in the bed and would typically drive 62-64mph. This was a DDEC engine.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

To address your question on “models”, most Newells are custom builds to the wishes of their owners.  The interiors use similar components arranged differently, all custom built.  The builders are true craftsman and the materials are high quality.  You will have to search hard to find better craftsmanship and doubtful you will find better.

I’ve worked on both over the years and the Newell is by far easier to work on and less complicated with the same results to the owner.  The later builds have more electronics to control creature comforts.

My 2 cents!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Hmmmm. I'd have thought they'd have offered a few different 'bodies' for new owners to choose from as a foundation. I can't even find that. Like most things its just a curiosity as its not as if I'd specifically go out trying to find one of the '3 31.8' triple door 12v71 tandem dual drive axles built in June of 1984'.
We've been in a few post 2000 Prevosts and the absurdity of what they let the engineers show off with made my head hurt when I started to think how much stuff was going to go wrong on them that would be nearly impossible to repair/duplicate without major dismantling.