You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oil Pressure gauge reads Backwards 596

My VDO gauge reads full scale with the key on engine off. It drops to 20 when there engine starts. Once the engine is warm it is about 50 at idle and 20 going down the road.
Checked the gauge it reads full scale with the sender wire disconnected and zero with the sender wire grounded. I have 2 gauges both do the same thing. My question is 
does the ddec sensor for the 60 series supply the info to the analog gauge ,or is there a separate sender. I only see one sender on the passenger side of the engine in the front.
It is the DDEC style sender.

Thanks
David

David, analog gauges are notoriously inaccurate. You should look for something that reads the DDEC data, like BlueFire for motorhomes or VMSpec.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

The senders for the VDO gauges are separate from the DDEC senders.

Check the grounds for the gauges. Newell’s method was to daisy chain all the grounds for the gauges and gauge lights. I would run a separate ground for the gauge and observe what happens.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Do you by any chance know the location of the sander it doesn’t seem to be teed to the D deck sander I see it on the engine

I already checked all the grounds with a meter they seem to be good

Rolleyes David Augspurger #596 2001

To the best of my memory it is on the driver side, up high, and at the transmission end of the engine. Impossible to see with all the exhaust and turbo stuff on that side. It will have a single wire hookup if it was like mine.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard it was right where you said it was got a new one ordered will try to replace it see what that does.

Thanks
David

Just thinking out loud here. There are terminal connections for the oil and water gauges in both the rear compartment and the passenger kick well. I might try putting a new sensor to those terminals in an effort to narrow the problem to gauge, sensor, or wiring.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

A new sender fixed the problem. Thanks to Richard for the info on the location.

David