You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Storage amenities

If you were to pay to keep your coach stored in a 50x20 building what amenities would you require?  
I work with a guy who is in the process of building 5 storage units for Coaches and said he is only providing 15a electric and nothing else.  He is a boater I have had a few 5th wheels.  I told him if he wants high end units he should consider 30a and a dump station at a minimum. He thinks only 15a is needed to keep the batteries charged.     

So if you were looking for inclosed storage what would you need?

I wouldn't "need" a 50 amp connection, but it would be my preference.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

50amp power minimum. Water and sewer would be a plus. Lighting within the unit and not just one fluorescent fixture. Climate control would be perfect and if such, then 30amp power would be minimum.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

50 feet in length is not enough for a 45 foot coach.  I've been in a 50 footer and the 2.5 feet on each end doesn't allow you to access the area without bumping into something.  

As mentioned above, water and a dump station is a must.  30 amp electrical would be the minimum as the 15 amp circuit would be tripped too often.

High-end coach owners will pay for these extras.  I've seen over the years that most storage building owners have no clue what is needed for these motorhomes to be properly stored.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Agree with most, 50 amp so in winter you can run the aqua hot, keep the batteries charged, run other items, etc. He can charge a higher price to account for the electrical usage and I think most will pay it. 30 amp will run most things but not all at once.
Also a 45' in a 50' space you won't be able to open the generator or engine hatch to check things. 20' wide is plenty of room so maybe cut the width down a few feet and go with either 55' or 60' long. But make sure the height is enough. Also have the area in front wide enough to be able to easily turn into the unit. A dump station and water available is a must, also a wash station is nice. If he wants high end then contract with someone who will come in and clean and detail the units.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

It all depends on location and cost. I have stored mine in a non-freezing climate with only 47' length, no power or dump. Cost was affordable and I merely disconnected the batteries - no problems.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Mine is insulated, has 50A, water, heat to 45° (central Ohio), floor drain and a shared dump station. Lighting is “reasonable”, but not shop level. It’s all worth it. If I want to clean or do maintenance in hot or cold weather, 50A is not a luxury! I sometimes use more coach A/C or heat than owner planned for in monthly rent so I kick in a little extra if his quarterly electric bill is out of line - it’s only fair. It’s not cheap, but there’s always a waiting list so his price is “market tested” as reasonable whether I like it or not.

I'm in a 50'x16' (i think on the 16') with 50 amp and onsite fresh water and a dump station. To me there is no good reason to not do 50 amp. The 20' width he's proposing is a nice touch as mine is too narrow to get much work done, but if possible I'd go to at least 55' length and 60' would be ideal. Well insulated is a key as well to me regardless of climate. We're in the the midwest so it's hot as heck all summer and dips down into the single digits in the winter at times. Good insulation has made all the difference as the single digits resulted in a low of 49 this past winter without any additional shop heat. Speaking of shop heat the owner of my units offers people the option to add a mini-split and the tennant pays the full cost of the unit and install. I think it was around $2500. Several of the tenants have added them. I would too if I was going to be in the unit long term.

Done right he'll always have a waiting list.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad, that's a great deal on the mini split. Like you said, it's only worth it if you plan on staying 5 years or longer.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Thanks for the reply’s. I agree that 50a is great but 30a is min. The length is a great point. I told him there needed to be room to make a 45” turn. He is building these 45 minutes north west of Baltimore Md. I’m not sure how much he plans to ask.

I appreciate the reply’s. I will pass them along. I did tell him that if he wants good coaches he needs to make sure it’s nice.