You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

SCS Capacitors

Replacing both motors on one of my SCS units and while in there was going to replace all of the capacitors.  Anyone happen to have part numbers?  Would love to have parts prior to tearing into vs. waiting until I get it apart.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,
Here is what I've found for two of the caps (a 45 & a 7.5). I'm still looking for the 10mf cap.
I am also looking into the combo caps which might get me the 45/10 in one unit. I need to research that a little more though. The 10 has a different footprint than these two.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F...UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086...UTF8&psc=1

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Thanks for the insight. I aborted my attempt at doing it myself and I'm heading to Miami on Monday to swap out the motors and probably the caps. I'll post what they used for the caps if end up replacing them. I did get a tip from my residential HVAC guy (who also refused to help me, but nonetheless is generally helpful) that he likes a Titan HD capacitor when possible. Will be a red/white/blue label NOT the Titan Pro which is a black/yellow label.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Thanks Brad.
I'm in the process of fixing my AC units. Both sides only have the #1 compressor working when correctly hooked up. I did the modification to remove the high current off the boards already. I was able to trick both compressors in both AC units to run off the #1 compressor signal using jumper wires/alligator clips.
I'm going to make replacement boards using a relay board that another guru found. I am still in the procurement and figuring logic and wiring out stage. I need to do some more trouble shooting and put it down on paper before too long.
Like Josey Wales said, "How're you about cypherin' boy?"

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 

Hey All,
Now that both my SCS units are working nicely, I have some extra parts that I don't need.

I have 2 extra rebuilt dual compressor boards. What is Newell asking for them? I'd be less Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Hank,

The mental exercise you will face when making your own board from a available relay board, is how to control the high low fan speed outside. Cause if you cypher on the outputs from the Tstat, you will see that when the second or HI kicks on, the outside fan is getting signals to run lo and high from the Tstat. The existing board has a circuit that handles the two inputs and doesn’t feed the outside fan motor voltages to both the high and low windings at the same time. 

Here is how. Run the output of the relay for lo speed though the normally closed side of the hi relay. When the hi relay kicks in, it will take the lo side feed out of the picture. This way the motor will only see voltage on the lo or high windings, even if both the lo and high relays are activated by the Tstat.

I wouldn’t run the comp amperage through those wimpy relays, though I use them as I do on the current board, just to trigger the external motor contactors. 

This is my backup to my backup board. It has been tested on the SCS unit in my shop. Keep in mind I built this before Newell had developed a replacement board, and the SCS boards were made of unobtanium. Rhonda does not like to be hot, and I wasn’t going to get stuck with a non op unit.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I would not use capacitors made in China. MARS is my go to brand although the SCS capacitors seem to be fairly reliable. Most USA made are good. I normally use 440 volt rated with the illusion that they may be more robust than the 370 volt versions. Inspect and check the capacitance of the new ones before installing. Any bulging, leakage or capacitance near the 5% tolerance limit is a no go.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Thank you Richard.
I did the external motor contactor mod right after we had our big birthday celebration last year.
The contactor mod and the vacuum pump mod were high on my priority list.

Jim,
Thanks for the MARS cap info. I'll look there for my future cap replacements.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 

Hank,

Gotta use the 12V board instead of the usual 5V version.

https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Channel-OP...469&sr=8-4

I mounted it to plexi so I could use the euro style wire connections for the 120V, and made it the same size as the existing board so the screw holes for mounting would line up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

I bought the bread board and relay board like it was shown in this thread http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4937
Now that I see the clear plexi model you made, I just might go for that. I'm assembling parts before I start the build.
I am looking for thermostats now. The salon t-stat is putting out bad signals for the Lo Fan. I unhooked the wiring from the AC unit to eliminate the control board from affecting the T-stat. The output on Lo Fan is either 5v (vs 12) or nonexistent. Hi Fan is always 12v no matter where the set point is.
I have looked for 12v t-stats with 2 compressor outputs and I'm not having luck. When I searched for multi-stage, Heat Pump/Propane seems to come up instead of 2 compressors.
Thanks for your continued help. Natalie prefers to have less air speed and be cool. I want it to work right or better so I can manage to make her comfortable.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586.