You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray

Richard, thanks so much for excellent suggestions, I should have tried these but when deeply frustrated I guess it’s easy to get blindsided. Will try these.

There is what happened with my 701, bought thru an auction in March 2022, took to a repair shop to fix few things. The main problem was air leak and defective air springs. Coach leans to the passenger side.
Took a while to get the air springs from Europe. The shop replaced 2 of these air springs plus a few other items, one leveling sensor, one leveling controller. Last week I was informed the coach is finished the needed repairs and ready for pickup.

Drove to the repair shop, they had to charge the battery before the engine could be started.
The coach raised up after air buildup and seemed ready to go.
Drove out from the shop just 3 or 5 minutes, I started to smell rubber burning, initially I thought it’s something outside but soon I realized it’s inside the coach as well. So I immediately exited the highway and stopped at a parking lot. This is just 3 or 4 miles from the shop.

I hopped onto my companion’s truck, went back to the dealer. They said it needs to be towed back to check what went wrong or if something new failed.

Fortunately my insurance policy covers the towing, but it took a while for the tow truck to arrive.
The tow truck driver and his co-worker had to first raise the rear, using some wooden blocks, latter removed the driving shaft, they took quite some time working on the rear,before they moved the towing truck to the from of the coach to insert a cradle. The driver says he doesn’t know why the coach seems to want to lean to one side (to the passenger side). A couple of hours later he said he found the problem, “this (he pointed to a rod see photo) was not put into the right place. (Any idea what he was referring to?)

Any case he wasn’t able to tow it as the rear end of the coach was too low. As soon as he started to move the rear seems to scrubbing the ground. So he abandoned the effort and call it a say. It was already passed 10pm and dark.

Yesterday we also attempted with jump start, including using my truck and a portable booster battery, then called AAA road battery service, and lastly used his tow truck (big truck see photo), the symptom was it seems want to crank but too weak to turn on the engine.  So all jump start attempts failed.

Now, I am waiting the towing company to contact me again, they might send a different truck today.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Messages In This Thread
Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 06-28-2022, 05:46 PM
RE: Towing truck driver as how to open the front tray - by Richard - 06-28-2022, 06:25 PM
RE: Towing truck driver as how to open the front tray - by johnkosir - 06-28-2022, 06:39 PM
RE: Towing truck driver as how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 06-28-2022, 09:35 PM
RE: Towing truck driver as how to open the front tray - by Richard - 06-29-2022, 04:21 AM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 06-29-2022, 07:04 AM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by Richard - 06-29-2022, 09:28 AM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by Richard - 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 06-30-2022, 12:06 PM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by Richard - 06-30-2022, 12:57 PM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 06-30-2022, 02:56 PM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by Richard - 07-01-2022, 02:20 PM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by hbens - 07-02-2022, 08:27 AM
RE: Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray - by kaptain - 07-04-2022, 10:33 PM