You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need Help, Coach Wont Restart After Hitting Bump

If trans is the same model as 385 it will be a 740

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

I just checked and my database is incorrect, it has the HT 741.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

https://elibrarywcl.files.wordpress.com/...4-Pc8WHWWn

The error codes for the HT741 are above, the instructions for code retrieval seem to be  similar to the previously mentioned instructions.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

When you find a fix please post (got me wondering)

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Thank you for the the information, yes, I have the HT741. I’am still chasing down the issue, and when I get it fixed I will report back with the findings

Ethan, Marty, Sam, Jack and Tex Phillips
1995 Newell Coach #381

Honda Element, or Jeep Wrangler Toad

I just realized my Allison button pad does not have the UP and DOWN arrow buttons. Only R, N, D, 3, 2, 1. Is there another way to enter the diagnostic mode?

1995 Newell Coach #381

Hi. Just saw this and looked around a little. Per figure 1-5 on page 1-4 of the following manual, it looks like the strip shift pads do not have a diagnostic display capability. Probably a diagnostic tool or PC connection is needed to view trouble codes. Here is the manual I found:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...y8NfBh7rwh

Please post any info for others' use.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

I agree with Michael. The transmission issue is a probable cause of your no-start situation. Danny also has a point about engine shutdown while in gear. 
You may need to clear out some temporary status on the transmission by completely removing power from it for at least 10 minutes.
You may need to inspect wiring harness/speed sensor damage as well. If the transmission cannot verify certain speeds it may, like my eaton fuller, decide to do nothing and not allow the engine to start. 
10 minutes is the time that works on my Eaton Fuller Ultrashift transmission (automated manual transmission). It does not want to be shut down except in neutral as well. Like other diesels, my Volvo will demand a shut down if the coolant sensor (in the overflow bottle) goes low, even for a second, while in a sharp turn. As a result, I've experienced a few of these situations. I pull a relay and a fuse for 10 minutes and all is good. The transmission does a restart from cold and allows the engine to start. By the way, if a problem still exists it may still inhibit performance or starting.

In a completely different direction, verify that you actually have 12 volts power to your engine ECM. Its possible that  broken wire at the connector may cause this situation. Watch the following video (at about 7 and a half minutes) where a Newell was disabled and the fix was a re-pin of the engine ECM power.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2bDuNz5aA

Hope I didn't ramble too much.....Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Could you post a shot of your keypad. I finally found an Allison keypad that looks like what I am envisioning you are describing. See Page 9 of http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-Tr...Manual.pdf 

If this is the keypad you have, it does not appear to support direct reading of error codes through the keypad.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I’m still trying to figure out the problem. I have a picture of the rear electrical panel at the very back of the bus, can anyone help identify the circled device? Relay maybe? The circuit breaker that I have the green square drawn around appears to be bad. Also, if anyone knows what function that device serves that would be helpful too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1995 Newell Coach #381