You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help chasing a voltage drop

Hi All,

I am parked at an older park in RI that only has a 30 amp service.  I just updated and replaced my ammeters and voltmeters to what is attached.  I relocating them to over the door to make space for nicer speakers on each side of the TV.  The blue power button is to turn on and off the antenna in case I need to reset it.

Sorry for the tangent...I was hoping the original voltmeters were not accurate, but unfortunately for me they were.  I am only seeing between 99 and 104 volts on each leg (remember I am on a 30 amp 120 volt service).  I checked at the plug and it gets 110 volts or thereabouts - not great, but better than in the coach.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can reduce the voltage drop to my panel?  I know 110 is still low and the park needs to get it closer to 120, but it seems I have an issue in the coach too.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

David,

When you are looking at the lower numbers on your panel, what is running in the coach? My point is that measuring at the pedestal gives you the voltage with NO load. If the wiring to the pedestal is inadequate, then a load can dramatically drop the voltage.

If there is no load to drag the voltage down, my next step is going to be to put the DVM on the leads going into the new readouts that you just installed. You have to figure out if the voltage is real, or the new meters require calibration.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I think in that image I had two AC units running. That didn't last long LOL.

Funny though, I just checked and it showed 110 volt/leg, then dropped to about 106 ish.

What do you mean by the "pedestal"?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

The pedestal where you plugged the coach into.

I suspect the issue is the 30 amp service in an older park. When an electrical load is put on the system, the voltage drops.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks for the clarification.

I checked the meter and my handheld matches the display.

So I went out and bought a 50amp Hughes Autoformer/voltage step-up transformer.

Now that it is 90+ degrees and there are more people arriving at the campground the voltage is even lower.  The step-up transformer helps by about 10 volts, but things are even worse!  I measure 110 volt at the pedestal still.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

I do not know what your situation is, so take this comment with a boulder of salt.

The ugly truth of some campgrounds is that their power supply is inadequate. The Hughes can help but it is not always effective.

I can tell you this. If you continue to run your air conditioners below 110V, you will soon be replacing the compressors in the AC units. How long you can get away with it has too many variables to estimate.

The totally oversimplified math of the situation is this. Watts = Volts X Amps. The wattage of the compressor motor is a fixed number. So if volts goes down, amps MUST go up. As the amp draw climbs so does the heat in the windings of the compressor motor.

Please read my comments as a response to your self declared “electricity is not my strong suite”. I just wanted you to have enough info to make informed decisions. You may not be able to move to a different campground. You may not be able to survive without AC. You may chose to run the generator during the hottest part of the day.

Our coaches were not designed to work very well on 30 amp service. 30 amp service with low voltage to begin with is NO BUENO.

If I had no options, I would only run 1 unit on LOW to keep the 2nd compressor from kicking in.

My opinion, others may comment differently.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Hi Richard,

I appreciate your candor and you are telling me what I feared all along to be true.

I have only been running one AC because a second one will trip the breaker as soon as the 120v air compressor kicks on. I've got a leak somewhere up front between the front wheels that I can hear. I think it is the leveling valve, but I don't know why when I have the valid system off (I am on a level spot).

The poor electric service here is a known thing apparently. The park is owned by the city, They did respond to my inquiry within a day, so we will see what happens. I'll keep the step-up transformer for whatever help and protection it can give me.

Sadly, my generator is down too. I am waiting on a thermostat. The first one ordered was incorrect. I'm fighting battles left and right. LOL

Now - on to rebuilding the center bath's sequencing valve...

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry