You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1997 newell cant get into gear. just beeps and flashes

i am posting this for a guru member who i talked to this morning.

they are trying to drive from wisconsin to newell to get a front drivers side salon slide repaired.  they have mechanical problems with the slide.  it is in and the pins are down on the top,  the bottom is extended a few inches.   

they cannot get it into gear.  the allison is being told to not go into gear.   e brake is off,  travel light is on and they also said there is NO level light on the hwh control panel.

they turned the slide overide switch on that is inside the hwh control box that should have allowed them to put into gear.

they recycled the ebrake and the hwh control panel for the slide.  

they called newell and they were not able to help them.  

they are in an rv park and was ready to pull out.  

any wisdom here from the gang?

they read on the foreforum that the tranny can be programmed to ignore any signal to stop it from going into gear from the hwh system.  

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We checked the voltage going through the override switch and it is not 12 volts when the switch is closed. Is it supposed to be 12 volts or over? The wires from the switch go into a 12 volt relay. The HWH book says that the override switch is wired to wire #155 on the transmission ECV. I talked to an Allison transmission mechanic and he said wire #155 is in the gray connector going into the TCM or ECU or ESM (whatever it is called for the transmission). Does anyone know where Newell may have mounted the TCM?
The wire is used as a General Purpose Input.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Tom, Rick,
Here is our experience with a not stowed completely slide.  Our slide would not retract completely and stopped 4" short or stowed (upper locks retracted and NOT engaged).  Reference http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4784.  We drove some 250 miles with the slide sticking out those 4" inches and upper slide locks not engaged.  I kept a close eye on the slide making sure it would not move....it did not move at all.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

So with the slideout out 4 inches how did you get the transmission to shift into drive? Did you switch the override switch and everything worked? Our problem is the override switch is not letting our transmission shift. We aren't worried about driving with the slide out a bit. It is a matter of being able to move at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

I did not use the override switch as the coach was new to us and was not aware of it existence.  Lets compare your situation with our experience.  Your slide is retracted at the top and the locks are extended thinking its stowed. The bottom has not completed its retraction sequence. i.e. retraction switch not pressed.  That switch is in the lower basement overhead about the center of the slide I am thinking if you wedge a shim into the gap engaging the stowed switch the HWH logic board will now think all is retracted.  May not solve you transmission problem but you will know its not the slide.  Feel free to call me at 352-245-1808.

Corrected my phone number...

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Rick, the Allison ECM is in the same bay as the HWH box. Look right under drivers feet.

HWH uses a lot of “make to ground” to complete circuits> I don’t know if the Ally wants to see 12v or ground. If there is a relay involved, then you can turn 12v into a ground path, or a ground path into 12V Pos.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here is a pic of the Ally computers. Sorry it is sideways.

And would you check you HIGH idle switch? The coach will not go into gear if the engine is in high idle.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Steve and Doris

What model year is your coach?

We were wondering if you could take a picture of the location of the switch?

We can't see a switch anywhere. Possibly because the slideout is almost all the way in and that it could be hidden under the floor?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards!

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

Is there not a slide over ride switch under the gear selector? Not sure when they started doing that.

We are 525 sorry about that, fuzzy memory, what was I thinking.  Just as Richard posted earlier can't see the switches with the slide in.  The difference in your slide configuration and ours, the upper slide locks were not extended.  Have you tried to retract the slide locks only and stop the slide sequencing before the slide moves.  That would set your HWH logic board up in a similar condition as ours at that time.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL