You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1/2 bath Microphor operation - water pressure regulation?

Hi all,
I just rebuilt my center bath sequencing valve.  Once all re-installed I cracked open the water and it worked perfectly with only a few slight adjustments.  

The next day, when flushed, the flapper would open and stay open with no water at all.  I shut the water off and went to remove the valve to go through it again to see what I could find.  As soon as I released the water supply line to the sequencing valve the flapper shut and the cycle completed.

I went through everything and reinstalled and nothing changed.  I've been on the phone with AnnaMaria at Mullaney & Associates (she's awesome!) trying to diagnose as well as talking to Newell service.  
AnnaMaria thought that my water pressure at 62 PSI was too high and over powering the air pressure at about 58 psi.  I mentioned this to Newell (who said 62 psi is correct and is internally regulated by the headhunter) and he suggested I try using the 12volt pump at 45psi to see if anything changes.  Sure enough - Everything worked correctly.  

So what's going on here?  Toilet works fine on Aux pump but not on Main pump.

I know I can install an in-line regulator, but how did it work previously and why do I have no issue with the rear toilet?

A side note - If you are going to rebuild your sequencing valve opt for the air hose kit from Mullaney & Associates too.  They are a lot more flexible and ton's easier to work with than the original super stiff hoses.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

The sequencing valve is “tight” since the new o rings were installed, and a little harder to move. Just for grins raise your air pressure on the regulator at the 12V air pump to 60 to 65 and see what happens.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

What air pressure do you guys normally run?

I checked it in the aquahot bay.

My goal with everything in this coach is to not "jury-rig" anything. I find when I start doing that it quickly gets out of control and way too customized for traditional troubleshooting.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Mine is around 60 subject to the accuracy of the gauge on that regulator. I know that is higher than Microphor suggests.

Also, on my coach I have a weird situation that has caused the potty to jam a couple of times. If, for some reason, I have the pump on AND the water connected to city, it spikes the water pressure and jams the Microphor.

I think the sensor on my pump, not a Headhunter, may read the differential in pressure and not the absolute. That’s what I think.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Mine needs 60 psi to work properly assuming Guage accuracy

1995 # 390

I will end up leaving everything as-is except I'll install water pressure regulators at the Microphors, the simple in-line hose type.

AnnaMaria at Mullaney & Associates was spot-on with all her help, so I will obey her instructions. It's a cheap and easy solution.

Thanks guys!

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Good solution.

And if you decide to install bidet attachments, regulators will prevent water coming out your nose.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard!!

I actually "snort laughed" a that one.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I'm still having an issue with the water pressure in the half bath microphor. The adjustable water pressure regulator worked fine when I first turn on the water. However, after some time passes the pressure regulator migrates from 20psi to the same as the Head Hunter pressure between 50 & 60psi. This causes the toilet sequencer valve to jam.

I changed the regulator thinking it was defective. Like before the toilet worked great when I first turn the water on, but then jams again after a few hours go by.

Is it common for water pressure regulators to only work when water is flowing, and then loose the pressure regulating property if left static?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

No, some places like Lowe’s sell an air pressure regulator, labeled as pressure regulator, that is not actually a pressure regulator. It is an adjustable valve. Meaning that when flow is occurring, a restriction in the valve will actually lower the pressure, but in a static situation with no flow, the pressure will equalize. Sorry for soap boxing, but every time I see that device, I think about the problems it is going to cause for the buyer unless they truly understand what it is.

The technical challenge when using a restriction valve as a regulator is that the pressure drop will depend upon the incoming water pressure AND the flow rate. Impossible to set correctly in the “flushing potty” scenario.

It “sounds” like you have such a device, a restricting valve. A true pressure regulator will not migrate like that unless the regulator is bad. However, if you do have a true regulator, you can get sediment in the inner workings which will jam the regulator open and cause what you are observing.

Can you post a pic of the regulator that you installed?

If this is the case, and you install a regulator, it will be tempting to use the smallest one possible to hide inside the potty. Make sure that the regulator is rated to handle the flow rate that you want. If it’s too big to install in the potty, then place it after the shutoff valve for the potty in the water bay. Plenty of room to hide it there.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad