You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Basement AC -to- Conventional MiniSplit?

There are some Foretravel guys who've done this, replacing roof airs with mini splits, and they're very pleased with the performance. Not sure if any of them have used the rooftop cassette evaps, if that's what you're referring to. They would involve cutting a larger hole and building a cover over it.
I considered it when I had my '98 Newell and felt that there was enough room to mount the compressors where the basement units were. The power is already there. Then use the AC ductwork to run the refrigerant and power lines. Remove a section of the valence where the cold air spills out to mount the evap. unit. It seemed the hardest work would be to run the refrigerant line through the ductwork where there was any bend.
If you're looking at an earlier Newell with the Dometic split units then compressor space might be an issue. But you could probably re-use the existing refrigerant lines.
But I sold it before I got beyond thinking about it.
Good luck and keep us informed on this project!
There are some other Youtube guys who've done this also.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Messages In This Thread
Basement AC -to- Conventional MiniSplit? - by SouthernDevGirl - 08-02-2022, 01:08 AM
RE: Basement AC -to- Conventional MiniSplit? - by folivier - 08-02-2022, 05:39 AM
RE: Basement AC -to- Conventional MiniSplit? - by Richard - 08-02-2022, 07:04 AM
RE: Basement AC -to- Conventional MiniSplit? - by BusNit - 08-02-2022, 08:30 AM