You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

LED Replacements for Spyder System Lighting

I'm looking for replacement G4 LED Disks that don't flicker with the Spyder electronics.  I can get them from Newell $$$$ but would like alternative sources.  I checked with M4 and Superbright but the best response was that I could return them if they flickered.  I'd rather get them from Newell than start experimenting.

I have quite a few LED's that worked in my Monaco Signature but they flicker quite a bit in the Newell.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I would check with Spyder customer support, they may be expecting the resistance from an incandescent bulb.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I believe the flickering might be caused by inverted power. Mine flicker when on shore power and the inverter is charging. Otherwise the lighting is steady when dimmed. I replaced all my halogen pucks with new Armacost LED units from Amazon. None flicker on high in any case. I realize your coach is newer and on a different system but that was my experience.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Actually, it’s deeper than that.

According to electrical engineers much brighter than I, pun not intended, LEDs can’t “dim” like a normal bulb. Instead, it’s done via changing the frequency of their power supply. Therefore, once that number hits a harmonic of the electrical system, e.g. 60Hz, the LEDs can/will flicker.

Their solution? Don’t dim them. ?‍♂️

Oddly, the ones that are most susceptible are the window accent strips. Those can’t be dimmed at all? Whereas I can dim the pucks down to maybe 20% without problem.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

If they're 120 vac, you need special dimmers. We replaced every light in our house with LEDs once they began making dimmable LED lights. We had to replace all the dimmers with later technology dimmers that work with dimmable LED bulbs.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad