You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Service pit

Since my coach is away, the owner will play... Or so it goes.

I was quoted just a hair under 20k to replace some hoses and lines in my coach. I am having them do some of the work such as newly discovered oil leaks. With their estimated time of 4-6 weeks of completion, I decided to build a service pit and extend the parking driveway another 8 feet. Concrete comes on Friday with more rebar to be installed. We are doing 16" footers with rebar reinforcement and a 6" slab in the bottom. 8" concrete blocks will be used for the walls filled with cement and rebar and a poured top cap thats rebar reinforced in to the existing slab and new block. I have a new sump pump installed and it works excellently during it's trial run. On the top side, I will install 3" wide by 3/16" thick angle iron that will be through bolted with bolts welded to the rebar encapsulated in the concrete. I would like to devise a "C" channel system to allow an oil change trolly to roll under the engine for oil changes. And finally, I will weld up a steel expanded metal cover for the whole pit. The only power in the pit will be the pump which is on a GFCI circuit. The power pedestal for the bus has its own receptacle for if I need something plugged in working under the coach. Lighting will be 12" thin strip 12v lighting that can articulate up and down. I will fabricate a steel staircase that can be unhooked from the wall and moved out of the way if need be. Headed to the steel shop tomorrow to pick up their prefabricated treads and some square tube. The pit is in an area far from the house and the coach is always going to be parked over it unless we travel. I will have about 7k into this with the concrete/block reinforcement costs being the bulk of it. Finished dimensions will be 44" wide x 16' long x 5' deep (I hired out the concrete cutting, backhoe and Personally removed the concrete waste and reallocated the removed soil to an unused area of the property for future use.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Looks like a great design and nice workmanship to boot!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Thank you! It puts me at ease to be able to work under the coach and not have to crawl around and deal with blocking, cribbing and jacking. Of course if it needs wheel or brake work, I will most likely have that done externally. For dealing with general maintenance, air lines and such, this is a dream for me. Affording lifts that do not generate income is out of the question as is the limited space in keeping them. We are not sure if this will be a forever home however if it turns to be the case, I have just under 1/2 acre in the back for a possible building. Discretionary funds are pretty much non-existent now and we have no idea what the future economy holds. Our business is starting to see some declines in new work.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

For lighting in your pit, I would recommend an 'all perspectives induction headlamp'. My wife bought me one for Christmas last year and I ended up ordering them as gifts for many of my friends. They work really awesome!

all perspectives induction headlamp

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

A pit is nice to have. You could line it with fire bricks and have a giant smoker or just at one end for a smaller one.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Jim, I was thinking more of an underground firing range with some modifications!

Jon, that's cool and inexpensive! I'll check it out. Thanks!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

simon,

very cool. as you know, i went down the path of having a pit in my shop when i built it. the county put the kabosh on it wanting so many things for it. that said, i am glad i didnt as i use that area of the shop for other things at times. now for sure i will have to come over and see your coach and pit

i assume you are putting stairs at one end?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Cool, looks really nice.
But I wonder if it collects rain and water during wet days?
Or do you have some kind drainage mechanism or pump designed into it?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Quote:… But I wonder if it collects rain and water during wet days?
Or do you have some kind drainage mechanism or pump designed into it?

Quote:(From original post…) I have a new sump pump installed and it works excellently during it's trial run. 

Tom, you’re more than welcome to come see/use it. I will be fabricating a stair case on the one end. I imagine the county would not permit any pit without many hurdles. I do plan on keeping it somewhat to their codes by eliminating any power within.
If I do put up a building I wouldn’t have to take up any space for a pit now.

Joe, there is a high volume American made sump pump that has a wood cover for the concrete pour. Upon testing it, I was impressed by the water flow from the outlet. Looked like a geyser!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312