You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter capacitor

Could a failed capacitor cause the breaker to consistently trip and what would be some cause for such a failure?  I've chasing  a cumulative series of no pump action.  The shaft turns, replaced the pressure switch, and no evidence of air in the system.  Pump is a 3yr old half price replacement from HH.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Is the AC breaker tripping? Or the protection circuit on the HH? I had a circuit going to HH that would trip. Turned out to be a screw rubbed a whole in the AC going HH. If the protection on HH is tripping… that is from the HH cycling. Sometimes this is caused by slow draws like the ice maker.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, the only breaker that trips is the HH.  When I put power back to the pump, the breaker immediately trips without attempting a draw.  This all started with the pressure switch and replacing that which worked fine for about a week.  I've been using my Shur Flow most of the summer as we are full time half the year.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Tony,

On 653, there is a union that is right above the control board inside the pump. At least once, the union leaked and let water seep onto the control board. (I believe that the entire pump got changed out).

Look on the top of your pump and see if you see any remnants of water sitting. That may give you a clue.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Bill for your responses!  I took the board out over the weekend and it was dry and saw no evidence dark or burn spots.  I'm still stumped.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

I have not had any experience with the Headhunter pump but as for capacitor symptoms, yes they can cause a breaker to trip. They can leak the oil, become distorted, have a change in capacitance etc. Some symptoms are intermittent but eventually fail totally. I've seen capacitors that have blown up leaving quite the mess of oil.

Three must haves, IMHO, volt meter, DC amp meter, capacitance checker. You can get one meter that does all of those functions.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Hmmmmm.

I just don’t recall seeing a capacitor during my one and only HH autopsy. That doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just that I don’t recall seeing one.

Here is what I would do to cut the problem in half. I would unwire the pump and cap the wires coming from the coach. If the breaker still trips, then the problem is not the pump.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

HH offered to sell me a capacitor for $25. They said that if the motor turned rough, I would need the capacitor, but if it turned smooth, I would need a new pump. Sounds like reverse logic to me. I also have not seen one on the pump.
Richard, I'll try your division option next.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

The other thing you can do while you have the pump unwired is to measure the resistance between the hot leg (black) and the neutral (white), you should also measure the resistance between the hot and the ground. If you have a dead short in the system you will get very low or no resistance between those legs. A dead short would explain what you are describing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We have bifurcated the power source and the pump and the breaker did not trip.  Thus, issue is with the pump.  With power on we noticed a momentary hum, all light indicators on, and a quick trip of the breaker.  Sounds like an internal pump issue.  Any other ideas out there?

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)