You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Top of Waste Tank Fittings Leak

My sensor has been a bit squirrelly this week, so, as part of my waste tank cleaning, I let the tank fill all the way.

This morning, my olfactory alarm notified me that my tank was a bit more than just 100% full!  I opened the "wet" bay and found it was holding true to its name.  Angry  On the top of the waste tank, were puddles of waste water.  Da Heck?

So, I drained the tank and performed a hazmat cleanup with some Pine-sol on a rag wire-tied to a pole.  Industrious of me, I know.  ha.

Now the question is...

ARE THOSE TOP FITTINGS SUPPOSED TO BE FULLY SEALED ONTO THE TANK?  This really isn't as dumb of a question as it sounds to me, because I personally think they should.  However, in the world of Newell, sometimes things aren't always as "normal" as one would think.

I have a suspicion that THIS is the source for many of our Newells being "smelly" as they off-gas on hot days.  Rather than venting through the roof, I think the gases are escaping into the under-bays and wafting up through the floor.

THEREFORE, my gut-instinct is to attack those fittings with some really good plumbing sealant.  I have a tech request into Newell to verify with them as well which is also my way of saying, "hey, this isn't good, so you might remember it for the next person."

I trust that more than one of you has addressed this matter and can suggest what you used for sealant.  Gonna be pretty hard to get around those fittings as well; not looking forward to that back-twister.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Although our coach is light years from the engineering on your Newell, some basics don't change a lot. I have also overfilled the waste tank in a cleaning attempt. There were no leaks revealed on the top of the tank. The overflow pipe worked well. Our overflow pipe has 3 90 degree ells in it, but possibly could be a source for odor on hot days.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

No Gary, running water down a pipe into a plastic tank hasn’t changed a bit, has it? Perhaps the only thing that’s improved over the decades is the glue. ?

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

This it the 2" fitting on my black tank.  They appear to be installed using gravity and sealant.  They do not appear to be installed using the flange and I know for  a fact MOT changed one using the gravity sealant method.
Icon Grommet 12484

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Eek, that profile looks awfully similar. I didn't poke it, assuming it was ABS. So, if it's this grommet, no wonder the white silicone just pulled off easily!

My guess is Newell may have done a quick fix on those fittings after the fact. Only problem for me is, it's impossible to contort my body to reach two of the fittings. I dread the thought of having to have them replaced!!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Well, in retrospect...I should have not bothered with sealing those fittings. Because, as Jim mentions, I think those are slip fittings with grommets. I'm not sure how long they're expected to stay pliable to make a good seal. But, I got in there and wiggled the pipes and could definitely see a bit of give around those grommets. So, putting RTV around them was in vane.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Here is my black tank

[Image: lQTTqO7tTd96A_rWrnwb-T6wdmQnrLYAvc3qW1Wm...authuser=0]

[Image: CuzuGQIFq6zq8R1yOKEL_t927JGrfIy9_B6bYQTD...authuser=0]

[Image: rsLbmHnzhMjdywXs82zkKBWet1qdxmWmlbAMEeBX...authuser=0]

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling