You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaks and more leaks...

I had taken my coach to a shop to have the air bag hoses replaced. At first, the coach would air down from left to right. First shop could not get hoses tight enough and charged me for other work not completed. I took the coach to Leo at All Aboard America and he, another guy and myself were under the coach shoving a 24" long wrench enough to tighten all the airbag hoses. We sprayed and checked every fitting related to that. I am super confident that we got the air hose leaks from previous shop. When I got home, I notice the coach now airs down from right to left. We are leaving for a cross country trip on Sunday and wondering if it will be ok. There were micro air bubbles in the tag bags but the rubber is not damaged. Leo felt they are ok for the run. Seems this coach degraded itself in the year I have had it regarding the suspension. Any words of encouragement? (Simon, stop worrying, air it down when you park and enjoy your trip!)?

This is yesterday at AAA in Mesa. Leo is an outstanding guy. At first it was like "hold the flashlight for me" and then it turned out to "can you lend an arm to push?!"

The last pic is the obligatory "Holding up the bus with one hand"!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,
I just changed what I think were the original Firestone drive axle airbags with new Firestone airbags.  Not because of leaks but due to a crack in the rubber at the top part of the bag.   The drivers side leaked down over a three day period but the passenger side held tight, even with the cracks.  With the new bags I still leak down on the drivers side so there is more work to do in that arena.  Take a look at the picture of the cracks on each of the 4 bags....it will scare you as it did me but I still drove the coach till getting the new bags.  I am amazed that they held together with external cracks like that.  So when one asks how long do bags last......We got 23 years out of the originals.  As a side note, thanks to Richard, you will notice the fitting on top is cut off with a sawzall.  Due to the rust, I would not have even come close to getting the original fittings out of the bags.....that alone saved a ton of time!  New JIC fittings $8 each plus shipping.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I know all bags have been replaced except the tag bags. The issue is the coach loses air at the right rear in about 20-30 min. No audible signs of leaks and nothing showing up on the bubble test. We were supposed to leave tonight but trailer shop forgot to give us cord for jeep to coach lights. They won't open until 10am on Monday. Screws up much of our plans. Not even sure the old trailer plug works on the coach. So frustrated. I only get vacation when someone passes away or 18 years later on a leisurely level as in this case.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, Have you tried Craigs List? This guy might just sell you the cord.....https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tro/d/phoenix-rv-tow-package/7524977510.html.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I haven't. I did order one on Amazon. As I started to wash the coach tonight (Massive mistake) I started thinking what if whatever is leaking lets go on the way. Now I am thinking of cancelling the trip. I started washing the coach to get some good feeling of it but I forget how absolutely terrible our water is. I made it far worse with spots everywhere. Here I was assuming the cool night would help but it made no difference. I gave up. Wife came to get and calm me down. Now I am really frustrated.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Sorry for your frustrations. Might be a good opportunity for a shorter shake-down cruise?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I just looked up all aboard america and it looks like a charter bus company. Do they do maintenance other than their fleet? At what location? Phone contact?  I like the look old their shop with the large jacks

2005 Mid Entry 600hp Newell
Piper Jetprop 560 HP
Aviat Husky Taildragger
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive
Delorean Turbo Special

Simon, I’ve been in your shoes many times. Looking back some of my biggest frustrations with the coach are now some of my favorite memories. There’s never going to a perfect time with one of these, as they are very complicated and always going to be something. Take off and enjoy yourself or you’ll never know what you missed!

parisjet,

leo at all aboard america is a friend i have made through owning 3 newells now. the link below is 10 years worth of recommendations

it is a charter bus company that has a few locations. this one in mesa is a depot level repair facility. i have referred dozens of newell owners to leo.

the nascar, indy car, and entertainers and athletes detour to have the coaches taken care of there.

years ago i had him added to the newell recommended service centers...

that said, he is not a coach system shop. meaning slides, interior work, etc.

but he is a suspension, engine and drivetrain maintenance place.

tell him tom sent you from newell gurus.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...rd+america

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I did find another leaking line from the compressor to the dryer. It’s shop didn’t tighten fully. Took care of that. I have added 5-10 min before right rear comes down. I will see if Leo can take care of the tag bags tomorrow and cancel most of my trip. Coach runs excellently otherwise and I have no fears of going long distances aside from the suspension leak down. For now I am cleaning up the abortion of water spots from washing the coach last night. One side looks good so far.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312