You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How many labor hours to replace an airbag on Newell Coach?

If you ever had one or more airbags replaced by any shop, would you please share info on how many hours of labor your repair shop charged you?
Please say how many airbags and how many hours of labor. You don't have to disclose the rate or total.

I am asking for this info from you because I just got an invoice from my repair shop. Kind of shocked to see the total labor charge of $9362 for replacing 6 airbags and 3 leveling valves.  This is labor only charge, not including material (air bags I bought from Newell directly, then brought to the shop). (Total bill is slightly over 10K which includes some other chargers like screws, washer, tire disposal fee $100, etc). I'd like to get some of your experience in replacing airbags/leveling valves.

Some background: 
Later in March this year (2022), I drove my 2004 Coach 701 to a repair shop because the coach leaned to the passenger side.
Upon inspection, the shop recommends replacing 2 airbags on the drive axle.  Newell didn't have the replacement airbags in stock then, so I bought 4 from Europe and sent them to the shop; I sent a total of 4 airbags (2 extra than originally requested), just in case they'd say all 4 need to be replaced.
The shop only used 2 of the 4 airbags supplied. When finished, the bill was over $4K. 

Then on the picking-up day of the coach, this happened, it was towed back to the shop. This time the shop suggested replacing all airbags and 3 leveling valves. 
So, the labor charge for replacing 2 airbags for $4k, then replacing another 6 airbag for $9K. These figures are labor only, not including any parts charge. 

I bought the needed hardware (airbags, leveling valves, new batteries, etc.) and then brought it to the shop. Although they did use some screws, washers, etc, those are charged separately from the labor. 
When I delivered the new 8D batteries, I took back the 2 dead ones in the engine bay (measured only 4V), and put them on a charger for 24 hours. Then tested with a battery tester; surprisingly, the test results show they are still good batteries and charges held well. These 2 batteries from the engine bay are dated 03/22. The 6 batteries from the house, with date stamp 03/19, they were also ~4v, most won’t charge, although 2 of them seem okay after recharging.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Joe. Give me a call late morning wed

Those numbers are insane

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That would have given me my last and final heart attack

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty-sold
Foretravel
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Ernie Ekbergs Flooring on Facebook
[email protected]

What is the hourly rate? I missed something about what happened to the batteries.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Quote:What is the hourly rate? I missed something about what happened to the batteries.

I am not sure about the hourly rate, so sent an email last night to the shop asking for some clarification on how many hours total and what the shop labor rate is, resulting a bill with a labor charge over $9k,  I am waiting for a response. 

[update with an insert, after I got an email response from the shop]

"....our labor rate is $175.00 hr. It is the same rate as the last repair on your RV. That is 55.8 hours that it took us to make this repair, "...

[end of update/insert]

As far as the batteries - that was 3 months ago, upon receiving an email notice saying they have finished repairs and the coach is ready for pickup. 
Once I get to the shop, only found the engine could not be started because the batteries seems dead, the shop then brought a mobile diesel-powered charger, charged for 30 minutes or so, and was able to start the engine. The shop manager commented I have bad batteries and they had to use a charger during most or the entire time of repair/diagnosis. It was a surprise because the batteries in the engine bay were pretty new, dated 03/22!

As soon as I hit on the highway, smelled smoke, and determined the smoke came from the backside of the coach, then I realized I had to stop. Distance is about 3 miles away from the shop.
Then I hopped onto my partner's truck, and went back to the shop for advise. The shop says it needs to be towed back for further diagnosis. That saga was described here in this thread 3 months ago: http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6843, at post #6

Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

I did the front air springs myself. It took about 3 hrs a side including removing & reinstalling the wheels.

I had Newell do the six rear air spring removal and installation of my air springs that I provided. The labor took approx 16 hours for all six air springs. Final cost including labor, tax and shop fees was $2482.96. Work was done in July of 2019.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Quote:I did the front air springs myself. It took about 3 hrs a side including removing & reinstalling the wheels.

I had Newell do the six rear air spring removal and installation of my air springs that I provided. The labor took approx 16 hours for all six air springs. Final cost including labor, tax and shop fees was $2482.96. Work was done in July of 2019.

Steve, thanks so much for sharing your experience. That's great information! now I have something to use for comparisons.

That is insane. At $150/hr that is 62 hours of labor. Do they not think people can run a calculator? Or we could look at it as one bag every day. Just crazy.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I replaced 8 airbags, and the associated air lines, plus 4 shocks on my 1982 Newell last year. Took me about 14 hours over 2.5 days. Have never done this type of work before. The number of hours they claim is outrageous.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Quote:I replaced 8 airbags, and the associated air lines, plus 4 shocks on my 1982 Newell last year. Took me about 14 hours over 2.5 days. Have never done this type of work before. The number of hours they claim is outrageous.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.