You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Back up cameras

We recently purchased a 99 Newell number 504, has the black and white backup camera which works but I was considering trying to upgrade to a three camera system, two mounted up front pointing toward the rear and the other replacing the black and white unit in the back center. Has anybody upgraded their system if so what did you purchase?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

The existing backup camera on my 701 is not working; I am too in search of a backup camera to get the old one replaced.

There are many choices on Amazon if you search for "RV backup camera". In the past several years, I bought and installed at least 4 or 5 different ones on my truck and equipment (skid steer, etc); I found that wireless cameras tend to have lag/delay/jitter effect, thus, poor video quality compared to wired cameras. The only advantage of the wireless camera is easier to install. Laying long video wires on an RV can be challenging.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Not sure how well a wireless camera system will work due to the aluminum body. You can always reuse the existing camera wiring for the rear camera if it's in good condition. There are adapters made if needed.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

RVcams.com

Work with Jeff. He knows his stuff, and he has tons of adaptors to go from one system to the other without having to splice existing cables.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-07-2022, 07:12 AM)folivier Wrote:  Not sure how well a wireless camera system will work due to the aluminum body. You can always reuse the existing camera wiring for the rear camera if it's in good condition. There are adapters made if needed.

Great point! Use existing wire for a new camera!

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Thanks for the info Richard! I'm going to give that a try, yes the wireless ones I've not had a lot of success with, our entire security system at our home is all cat6 wired if I go with three cameras I'll have to figure out some means of getting it into the cab. I might check with Newell they're only 50 miles from home. Thank you all!

Gravette, Arkansas

I replaced my severely outdated non-working backup camera with one from Costco that they no longer sell, but it came with a microphone in the camera and a speaker in the monitor that actually works really well.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad
Photo 

Got an email this morning from RVgeeks with their 'complete guide to backup cameras' and felt it was worth sharing.

[Image: backup-camera-for-RV-featured-image2-728x410.jpg]

Complete Guide to Backup Cameras for RVs: Wired & Wireless

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

(10-07-2022, 07:24 AM)Richard Wrote:  RVcams.com

Work with Jeff. He knows his stuff, and he has tons of adaptors to go from one system to the other without having to splice existing cables.

Thanks.  Went to the coach today to work on a few things and camera will not power up at all. Now I know who to call.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Thank you MrE! Wish we had a thumbs up reply on here.

Gravette, Arkansas