You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What is this relay

Every morning when I walk into the coach there's a loud buzzing noise coming from the speaker area on the driver's side just above the driver's head on the driver's bulkhead. It is a 120 volt relay which is energized sending power to something. Any ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Are u sure that is 120V ?
I’m guessing that is not a standard Newell item.
Carefully trace the wires after determining voltage with a multimeter.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

That black box next to it says "ads" on it which would indicate the stereo head unit at the driver's seat or some accessory related to it.

Just a guess...

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

I’m with Dean, check the coil voltage.  I’m betting it is 12VDC.  On 567, it is activated when the on board radio is turned on feeding the speaker system with radio audio,   when off, the speakers are fed from an auxiliary input such as the surround sound or TV or ……

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Nope, it’s 120. My coach has it, and there are at least three posts on this forum that show pictures of the same relay.

That is not the 12V relays associated with the speakers. They are on the other side of the ADS crossover box.

The first question is what is the voltage of the circuit that the relay is opening or closing when it gets 120V signal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Its 120vac to the coil and the normally open contact so its feeding something. I unplugged it and nothing has changed in the coach that I can find. Sure makes noise when its cold inside.

Gravette, Arkansas

My first guess is the little shore power light on the cockpit console.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The backlighting for the dash is supplied by a high voltage transformer and electro-luminescent tape….could this relay power that transformer?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Funny you should have this problem....we had the same issue a week ago while at an RV park.  Only reason I suspected 120 volts is a night light I had plugged in by the drivers seat would go out when the buzzing started.  I checked the AC volt meter in the overhead L1 was 121 volts and L2 showed 100 volts.  By the time I got to the pedestal my surge protector showed that L2 had gone to 5 volts.  Had the breaker changed and all is well ever since. Having said all that to get to my point.  When he relay is buzzing check you AC volt meter to see if there is an anomaly going on.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Richard and Bill its not to either, I wonder would it have anything to do with the rope lights? Are they DC or AC? Steve its 120 on the coil, 120 on the feed and 120 on the output of the relay, its very small wire size so it must be for something of low power.

Gravette, Arkansas