You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tank or AH leak

I went by the bus and decided to take it out and fill it with fuel (before the real fuel price hikes hit!).  I had it fast idling in the shop and during my walk-around noticed a big puddle of water on the floor and about 1/2” trickle (deluge) of water coming from what looked like the water tank.  It was definitely water and not anti-freeze… Is there a good/easy way to see if/where the water is coming from and how hard is it to pull the water tank and repair/replace it?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

First figure out EXACTLY where the water originates. I find blue paper shop towels invaluable as any water that touches them turns the area dark blue.

Water migrates easily so exit points under the coach may mislead you. Let me provide an example. I was sure I had fresh water running out of my Aquahot once, since water was running out of the exhaust access port for the AH. Nope, it was the rotating seal on the 120V water pump, all the way on the other side of the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ditto on Richard's post! Had water coming from the AH exhaust opening....turned out to be a loose fitting on the water purifier mounted just aft of the AH tray.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Looked at the tanks and there is a leak from under the tank maybe at the seam, this time it was leaking inside the bay. Has anyone had any luck plastic welding these tanks or where can I get a tank from please? Is the best way to remove the tank from the driver side (and not the AH side)?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving, I have a 1999 #504 and I found antifreeze right under the tank dripping from where the diesel exhaust comes out, but found that the overflow on the neck had rotted off, the overflows are very important to go into a tank as when the aquahot cools it sucks the fluid back in, mine of course was just dumping out and around the tank and out the exhaust. The cap on mine is 13 PSI and had a bad seal also so I've replaced that and waiting on it kit from Rudy to rebuild the neck of the aquahot.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Had the pure water tank pulled (in my storage building) and they filled the tank water and waited about 2 hours - no leaks! That is good news but now we have to start looking for the water leak in the hoses and plumbing. Any suggestions on how to test the lines?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Do you have access to city water to pressurize the water lines?

If not, you will have to rig a temporary water supply to your pump to provide pressure.

Blue shop towels are your friend.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I took pictures of the water bay where the tank was pulled and it has zero rust! That grey paint (POR-15?) is good stuff!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Now we are stuck trying to find a couple of fittings to put the tank back in… anyone know where I could source the following or what the heck it is called?  90-degree brass fitting with female plastic rotating end and the other a male barb end… I sent it to McMaster Carr but they cannot seem to get the picture to show on their side :-(

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

https://www.amazon.com/EFIELD-Heavy-Fema...D5LHM&th=1

This is an EXAMPLE. You should confirm what size pex and what size NPT you have before ordering. This at least shows you what you are looking for.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad