You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rain water leaks - 75 classic

Thanks guys all good stuff.
The pictures you see are after I removed most of the rivets holding on the gutter / trim. I'll try to get some better ones while I work on it today.

Dean I think the butyl tape was what was put on from the factory since there were a few factory type rivets still in some spots. I think I will use something like it when I get it cleaned and sealed. Like you said I'll be doing a lot of straightening on it before installing. I have the butyl tape for my window project, I hope to find something that will be more UV resistant. The butyl has really stiffened up and become weak where the rivets go through it. Of course most of this stuff was put on in 1975 so the stuff appears to have worked. Since I don't think I'll ever have to use these seams I love Richards nuclear resistant seam sealer option. Putting on the existing gutter / trim is the least expensive option. Even though it will take some work. Probably the best - thanks

Richard thanks for the link, this stuff looks great for these side seals. I'll probably get a few tubes to do some tests. It will all be hidden behind the gutter trim and the seams are pretty small. I also have a bunch of panels I welded for rust repair in the lower cabinets. And the hidden storage under the entry steps that has some seams that this should help with. This seam sealer may become my favorite thing for a while.

Ok Guy now I'm questioning how good I sealed the lights on the roof. I'm pretty sure I have gaskets on all of them but now I won't stop worrying about them until I've rechecked and re-sealed all of them. Oh well more fun for me.

We've been here in Oklahoma for a year now. When we lived in Michigan I could move my coach onto the driveway to work on it for 4 day's then had to more it to the back yard again. Here my coach sits on the double drive to the pole barn / shop - of course the barn is too low to put the coach inside, but having a big building heated and cooled for all my tools and equipment is awesome. Plus I don't have some guy driving by the house to see if the Newell is still in the drive after 4 days. I'm still working full time this year, in a little over a month I'll be going to a part time schedule.

This water issue has been driving me crazy - having a plan going forward helps. I'm still not going to hold my breath but hopefully this will get me closer to a water tight coach. OK maybe not completely, but a guy can dream.

Thanks for all your advise, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

John

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Messages In This Thread
Rain water leaks - 75 classic - by superbirds - 11-20-2022, 04:44 PM
RE: Rain water leaks - 75 classic - by Richard - 11-20-2022, 06:27 PM
RE: Rain water leaks - 75 classic - by superbirds - 11-20-2022, 07:16 PM