You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Crazy Weather

We are no strangers to weather change here in the Ozarks but this breaks all the records for us, they are talking -35F wind chill factors are possible, I've blew down all the water lines and drained the water tank in the coach and put antifreeze in the holding tank. I hope the compressor will hold up in these temperatures. I'm going to the auto parts store this morning and get a antifreeze tester for the Detroit and generator. Anything else you can think of?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Chill factor is not much of an an issue other than the rate in which things lose their heat.  What is the actual temperature forecast?

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Jack, put fresh water antifreeze in the Aqua Hot fresh water loop. The loop can NOT be drained or blown completely out. Or turn the electric elements ON and do not loose grid power. If gird goes down, start generator.

Replacing a split fresh water loop is a very difficult task. A reman heater is an all day effort and the cost will be around $10K, give or take a few unless you do the work. But then still a lot of $$$$$.

If you need a reman heater, I have a excellent source. A reman is better than a new 675 from Aqua Hot in my opinion.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

It would be a far reach,  but the waste water traps could freeze.  Look like you’ve covered about all the other bases.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Jim -15 to -20F.

Rudy I replaced all the antifreeze in the aquahot when I fixed the neck of it, is that what your talking about? I will turn the aquahot on and make sure the thermostats and pumps are working for the duration of this crazy weather.

Gravette, Arkansas

No Sir, the fresh water loop that provides hot water to the coach.

Put fresh water antifreeze into a bucket. Connect a pump to the fresh water hose inlet and the bucket. Turn on pump and open the utility HOT Water facuet valve. When pink comes out of the facuet, the Aqua Hot fresh water loop is winterized.

OR, keep electric elements ON with the grid or generator. As long as the Aqua Hot coolant is hot, the fresh water coil will not freeze and split. But, if the coolant goes below 32 degrees F, the coil is in trouble. The coolant is still liquid but the water will freeze.

I have replaced six heaters whose owners allowed the coach to sit turned off in freezing conditions with no fresh water antifreeze.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Jack,

In our AH units, the hot water loop is a long coil of copper tubing wrapped around the outside of the boiler tank. That is done to provide a double barrier between the ethylene glycol coolant and drinking water. As Rudy stated, is difficult to blow air through the many wraps of tubing and get the water out.

As long as the electric elements are on, you will be fine. If the diesel part of the unit is working, turn them both on. The diesel will not run continuously unless the electric fails to keep the unit at temperature. The thermostats for the electric are just a few degrees higher than the diesel. Clever.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard the diesel part is not working but I do have 120v element working and it will stay on for the remainder of the cold snap come this Thursday. Just checked the series 60 its good to -55f so I'm feeling better. This will be a good test for the -15f heat pump I mistakenly bought. I started on the house a few days ago.

Gravette, Arkansas

If you have enough electric power available you can put a heater or 2 in the basement. That will help the aquahot keep up to temp in that extreme low temp.
Let us know how that "mistake" works out, -15ºF heat is incredible!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Jack,

If your air compressor is in the passenger basement bay…put a little space heater in there and cover up the vents. The water in the air lines will freeze and break things. (Ask me how I know!)

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama