You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 oil drain plug

I see a couple different places that you can remove the drain plug for the series 60, the most obvious one is at the rear of the drain plan at the lowest point and has a square head to put a wrench on. It looks like its never been removed also the others have female 1/2" drive on the plugs but I can not loosen one single plug, I'm using a 1/2" breaker bar and they will not break loose. Any suggestions? On my 6 71 Detroit I had the quick quarter turn valves with a 12v reversible oil pump to remove the oil and refill it so I purchased the same valve to replace it 3/4 NPT original plug.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,
I went for the one that looked like it had been off before......happened to be the most forward center line plug.  Used a 1/2" ratchet and yes it was tight..... at first it seemed too tight but it finally broke free with enough force.  Looked at the others they had never been off before so I didn't even try them.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve I gave up for the day temperatures dropping wind is about 20 so I'm certain the oil is cooled off by now but tomorrow I'll give that a shot the one that looks to have been used before is right below the oil filters. I've been twisting wrenches almost all my life this one certainly is tight.

Gravette, Arkansas

They are tight, I use a 30” breaker bar.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'll have to use a cheater to make 30". A pit would be nice too.

Gravette, Arkansas

Does anyone know why the drain bolts/plugs are put in so tight?  The idea is to not become loose, leak, or fall out. It seems the larger the engine , the tighter they are installed. I have tightened our plug to "about "40 ft lbs.for the past 5years. It had ben put in by a previous shop way north of 100 ft lbs, to the point that I thought I might damage the oil pan.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy my exact thoughts. There is yellow lock tight on the new ones perhaps thats what is making this a difficult job, I looked at the new ones on line just to see what I'm up against.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

When I put mine back in on the previous oil change I made it a point to put it back in with a short 1/2" drive ratchet wrench. I tightened then backed off with the same ratchet several times to the point I felt I could get it back off the next time. Well this oil change I used the same ratchet to get it off.....it would not budge I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose. Might be my imagination but I can conservatively say I have removed thousands of oil drain plugs on cars, trucks, tractors and aircraft engines both recip and jets. What it seemed to me as it tightened up a bit, due to thermal cycling, on itself over that oil change cycle.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Oil change is done, I didn't succeed in breaking loose the nuts even with a 28-in breaker bar I just purchase it just didn't feel right so running out of time I got my half inch impact and removed one of the plugs that look to have been used to drain oil. Drained all the oil and installed the EZ valve changed the filters and refilled.

Tomorrow I'm changing out the front tires, we purchased new tires I just haven't had the time to get the front ones off and take him to the tire shop. Also one other thing I need to change out is the air dryer before we leave it has leaks. Has anyone ever changed out the dryer?

Gravette, Arkansas

Yes, are you changing the dryer assembly, or just the filter.

It can be done with the tag tire in place, but it’s WAY easier to remove the tire.

Obviously, support the rear of the coach. Drain the air pressure. The air bags should stay up because the six pack isolates them. But you don’t want to be crammed into the wheel well without support for the coach.

Disconnect the air lines while the assembly is still bolted to the bulkhead. Then two bolts hold it to the bulkhead. The nuts for those bolts will be in the electrical cord bay. You may have to get your bride to hold a wrench on them while you hit the bolt head with the impact gun. My arm was not long enough to reach around the open compartment door.

If you are just changing the filter, then the oil plug breakaway torque was just a warmup. I found all the strap wrenches I had would slip on the filter. My eventual solution was to clean the exterior of the filter with brake cleaner, then wrap it with the self sealing urethane tape available at Lowes/HD. Then the strap wrench would grab. Warning, if you resort to the old big screwdriver puncture trick, you will rupture the filter and spill all the little desiccant beads into the purge valve. That is no bueno.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )