You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaving tomorrow

3 months ago we parked this big beast behind our house and today I will be driving it today for the first time, if all goes well on the test drive we will be leaving for Florida in the morning. We have repaired and rebuilt many items on it so many I have a hard time remembering all of them but if not for this group I would have been lost and broke paying Newell to do it. Thanks to all!

When we rebuilt the salon slide I asked a question about moving the coach while the slide was out and I think it was Richard to told me about the override switch in the HWH box, I flipped the switch to move the coach forward to where my forklift was parked and it would not go into gear, so I went out and flipped the switch back and it would go into gear its had a problem and the prior owner just left it in override so some dummy would buy it and drive it off, ME! Well I was hopping that with all the repairs to switches and mechanicals it would work in the normal position but looks like it will be driven to Florida in the override position, I know for a fact both sides are in and locked.  

As luck would have it the motorized step quit working day before yesterday and looks like the motor has failed I know its not electrical because the step light comes on when you open the door, this is why I bring my tools everywhere I go.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Try spraying some lube, WD40, white lube, whatever you got, on the step hinges and see if that doesn't free it up.
Good luck on your trip!

When you have time to work on your step the big plastic gear may be missing teeth. It only uses less than half of the gear throughout its full motion so it is possible to rotate the gear 180º so that you're now using new teeth. Had to do that on my '93 and it worked for quite a while like that.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Forest, I have the silver leaf working, far better than the gauges!

The test drive was disappointing, it still drives like my old 51 chevy truck with worn king pins. It will be a long drive to Florida.

Gravette, Arkansas

take it slow and easy. thats what forest and clarke taught me

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Don't try to chase the steering. Let it move about a little on it's own and only try to correct if it is starting to drift out of your lane.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My plan is 200-250 miles per day, 4 lanes the majority of the time, no night time driving and avoid all severe weather. VFR

I hope to find a truck shop that will be able to diagnose the problem and rectify it along the way.

Gravette, Arkansas

I may be able to help once you get here. There are some simple diagnostics i have cobbled while chasing my issues.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not sure this will help, on my coach the steering gearbox had been replaced recently before I bought it. Also a number of front end items had been replaced like the tie rod ends. It turned out the slack adjustment on the side of the gearbox needed to be tightened a little. It caused my coach to drive worse then my old International tow truck. Be careful you don't want to go too tight - the power steering pressure will also affect it. I found it by moving the steering wheel back and and forth and checking to see if the front wheels were affected. In my wheel alignment days we did the same thing to look for looseness in any of the tie rods - king pins etc. If the gearbox is loose as mine, try tightening the adjustment slightly then re-test. On mine this made a huge difference in the driving experience. I went from two hands on the wheel struggling to stay in my lane to be able to drive on a one lane road with one hand.
Having someone topside to work with is a big help, I wouldn't crawl under it without a safety block and wouldn't do it if it was running. Good luck
FYI - to check the toe in for the tie rod adjust use a measuring tape from a consistent tread grove on the front side and back side of the tire grooves. I'd think normally on this size of vehicle toe should be are 1/8-3/16th of an inch. Just a guess. Someone will know I'm sure. The toe does cause slightly more wear, but does tend to tighten the steering. If it's way off I'd probably have someone fix it. You could do it yourself but it's hard without the right tools and experience.
Happy New Year - a Florida trip sounds lovely.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

I had my kingpins checked and they passed. My steering is all but to be desired. It has quite a bit of play but Leo didn't want to mess with it. I do believe it can be adjusted. After about 6-8 hours of driving, it becomes fatiguing to constantly correct. If anyone has insight to adjust this, I am not afraid to tackle this. I have been under the bus so to say cleaning 30 years of dirt buildup and caked on grease from oil leaks that have all been sealed. Ordered a small electric power washer to assist.

Let us know how your trip goes Jack. I believe you'll be fine. These things are very stout even when they have signs of wear. After being under mine for the last couple of days I am still in awe at the Thick steel channels these are built out of. Truly impressive.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I don't know what to say but maybe the big man just doesn't want me to go to Florida, blew a turbo yesterday we are in a parking lot of a hotel and everything is closed today. Guess we're parking lot camping. I could probably deal with the steering if it would roll down the road!

Simon mine doesn't have King pins but sounds like you're doing a total makeover like us, thought we might be able to enjoy some of the fruits of our labor but going to have to wait a few more days. I have till the 9th to get to cedar key before I start losing my money. Haha!

Gravette, Arkansas