You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turbo blew!

220 mi into our trip and the turbo blew out lost all boost, decreased power and a ton of white smoke. Need to get a replacement turbo ASAP. I pinched off the rubber part of the oil feed just outside the oil filter housing still leaking by oil coming out of the exhaust.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Oh I forgot we are highway 40 East Mulberry exit, Arkansas

Gravette, Arkansas

If oil is going back into engine from turbo
It can cause engine to run away
Please check

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

On the 2 stroke diesels I agree, but not sure about 4 stroke series 60, I'm parked in a good place now plan on finding a cap to cap off the oil line going to the turbo and driving to a truck shop. Bad storms today which is a bummer and I guess it's a work day off. Thanks

Gravette, Arkansas

Sorry to hear about this. But it sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done, getting the turbo quickly will be the challenge.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The same thing happened to me except the compressor shaft broke at the outside of the bearing so, no oil leak.

I found a DD dealer who had one in stock and drove the toad to get it.  That may be a problem and you might also find one at turbo rebuild shop.  The hardest part was getting my big ole carcass in the limited space.  Be sure to get four new studs and nuts. Spray the old studs with Kroil before driving to get a new/recon turbo.   And, the turbo is pretty heavy to lift while confined!.

Too bad this happened after all the work you have put into this trip.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Years ago the turbo went out in the middle of Colorado. Thankfully it was just the bearings so I was able to drive it back to my mechanic in Nacogdoches, TX. Of course getting across the passes to get into Texas was a challenge. Tons of black smoke, stopping a couple times climbing up the passes. But the series 60 is a tough engine and I made it back ok.
Good luck!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Got the turbo oil line capped off but still had a gallon of oil inside the muffler, I should send a bill to North Little Rock for mosquito abetment. Turbo rebuild business is 14 miles down the road, they open at 8 am, I'm hoping the popularity of the series 60 they will have one on the shelf.

Forest I'm not sure how you made it at altitude.

Gordon I looking for a dealer next.

Gravette, Arkansas

we were driving in utah going south on the interstate and about 15 miles from st george i lost power going up a hill. darlene was following behind in our truck pulling our enclosed car hauler with the rzr. she immediately called me and said i was billowing out a smoke cloud. i dipped down to 15mph and it went into safe mode. i remembered there was a freightliner dealer right off the freeway in st george so i limped there.

upon inspection, the rear intercooler top hose had blow off. fortunately the freightliner shop had a short skinny guy who could get in there after we took a few things out. a few hours later i had new hose and new double clamps and i was off.

i got lucky

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We got lucky and found a turbo, Detroit Diesel for the entire United States is backordered for turbos on this motor. Got a Brand New replacement from borg Warner rather than Garrett. I removed the alternator the coolant recovery tank and all the plumbing going to the turbo. After buying the new turbo I realize how heavy it is and it's probably not to my best interest to try and hoist 70 lb with one arm so I hired a couple Grease monkeys that have a mobile diesel repair service to remove and install the new turbo and I will finish the plumbing. First thing they did was snap off three of the studs so I told them just cut the last one off and I would fix it, they wanted to take the exhaust manifold off and take it to the shop I told him just to leave and I'll call them when I'm finished which we did last night at 4:30 p.m. four new studs nuts and washers from Detroit Diesel was $68! I also replace the oil feed line which was about the same price as the studs. Hope to have this thing on the road tomorrow morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas