You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Combining grounds

I have been wiring in an electric trailer brake. While doing so, I cleaned up the front relay/fuse/terminal board. I have three separate ground posts on the upper left side. None of them have a large wire that I can see that goes to a negative pole. I believe all wires are small gauge with the 10/32 post being a binding connector. I would like to put a #12 jumper across all three posts to help balance the return path. I did verify with my meter that they are all grounds to chassis. Is there a specific reason Newell wired these up in separate groups? DDEC? I do not see any harm in providing a path of lesser resistance but wanted to pick everyones mind. Bonus points if anyone knows what the potentiometer is for!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Grounding for all those discrete circuits up front is not a Newell strong practice. Anything you can do to armor that grounding system cannot hurt.

I have always wondered about the potentiometer, so I will wait for the answer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Simon, I asked asimilar question concerning grounds several years back....https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5086.  If your grounds are in fact DC grounds I would think there is not a problem to "bus" them together.  If there is an AC ground or neutral in the mix I am not sure about that one.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I did a little more exploring. Found the markings on the wiring diagram. Not sure how they have this wired but there’s only one ground post and the others are for marker lights and dash lights. I do get 11.3 v from ground post to dash lights when I turn on the parking lights. So DO NOT bind these three posts together. I did find a 5/16” bolt sticking though the wall that’s grounded when I check from positive to the bolt at a voltage of 12.6v. That protruding bolt is for the Ramco mirror. I’ll put a jumper from there to the wiring ground post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Rather than use the mirror bolt, which is in contact with the aluminum skin which is attached via rivets to the frame with who knows what corrosion, jump over and ground to the mounting bracket for the steering column. Good steel there welded to the frame!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-09-2023, 06:34 PM)Richard Wrote:  Rather than use the mirror bolt, which is in contact with the aluminum skin which is attached via rivets to the frame with who knows what corrosion, jump over and ground to the mounting bracket for the steering column. Good steel there welded to the frame!!

I thought of that but it's late, I am hungry and wife is not home to cook yet. My brain went for the easy route and yes, I did think about the aluminum/rivet and galvanic action going on. Still the expectation of her ground turkey taco's or lack thereof blinded my reasoning! You're right. This is meant for a steel frame attachment point.

I am still curious on the potentiometer. Maybe I'll turn it and see if any of my gauges get more accurate?!! It's too bad Newell would not know what certain aspects of the coach do as there really are no records other than interior finishes.

Ooooh, Marie is home! Time to get a wafting of her cooking!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Everyone should check all of these ground points. I've found loose nuts probably due to vibration. So I've put either a second nut or replace the nut with a nylock nut.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

What concerns me is Andrew Steele's coach fire. Granted mine is a less complicated beast, but resistance at any level is a recipe for a fire. Especially if heat builds up right on that wooden fuse/terminal board.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-09-2023, 06:48 PM)BusNit Wrote:  I am still curious on the potentiometer. Maybe I'll turn it and see if any of my gauges get more accurate?!! It's too bad Newell would not know what certain aspects of the coach do as there really are no records other than interior finishes.

I am curious about this as well....wondering if it is a fuel level adjustment either on the low end or the high end or perhaps both ends of the gauge reading.  My sender is 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full.  Thinking out load here, by turning the pot up one would add resistance making the gauge think it has more fuel than actual.  Hmm.....I will be checking to see if our coach has one in the morning as my gauge shows 7/8 tank when full.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I have no data to support my theory but, I believe the pot could be to adjust the idle speed.

I have no data to support my theory but, I believe the pot could be to adjust the idle speed.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567