You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shop Compressor

I'm planning my shop build and was wondering what size compressor for those that have their own shop?  Sizing for the coach air obviously and air tools, jacks, etc. 
What horsepower, cfm, psi?

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Will you have a bead blaster?  Unless it is a small gun they use lots of air.  I have a 10 HP 2 Cylinder two stage which can keep up.  7.5 HP two stage would be my minimum suggestion if you are using air tools.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(01-13-2023, 01:27 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Will you have a bead blaster?  Unless it is a small gun they use lots of air.  I have a 10 HP 2 Cylinder two stage which can keep up.  7.5 HP two stage would be my minimum suggestion if you are using air tools.
Hadn't planned on the bead blaster, but I did underestimate as far as air tools.  I was thinking 5 HP, but maybe not enough.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

I have a 5hp but most importantly, is the CFM capability is has. My pump will do 13.3 cfm at 90psi. Never let me down in the 18 years I have had it. Plumbed air lines through the interior walls in the garage with multiple outlets. Sounds like a diesel engine when running!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

If you are planning on using the shop air for your aux air when the coach is parked, then add some sort of air drier to the circuit. At least the line feeding the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-13-2023, 04:57 PM)Richard Wrote:  If you are planning on using the shop air for your aux air when the coach is parked, then add some sort of air drier to the circuit. At least the line feeding the coach.

Absolutely on the drier and maybe its own regulator also.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

I use a 5HP it has been faithful to me for years, never needed anything bigger till the Newell showed up.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Another consideration is the piping/hose size.  If you plan to use air to remove coach tires you need at least a 3/4" or 1" twin hammer impact gun which won't do anything unless you have at least 1/2" hose and lots of air.  I use a 1/2" hose for lug nut removal but you also need the large air chuck on the tank, hose and impact.  I have 1" shop piping to feed the 1/2" hose and can squeeze the trigger and let the 3/4" impact bang away for a bit until the lug nut starts to turn.  That's with a 120 gallon tank, 150 psi and a compressor pump that puts out 35-40 CFM.  A breaker bar is an alternative.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I dumped the air tools in favor of Milwaukee impact guns. This is my big'n. I have several other sizes and use the 1/2" most on this coach.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-14-2023, 08:15 AM)BusNit Wrote:  I dumped the air tools in favor of Milwaukee impact guns. This is my big'n. I have several other sizes and use the 1/2" most on this coach.

I have been looking at battery powered impact guns, Is the weight a factor on the Milwaukee?, how much torque does it put out? I am currently using air tools due to how light they are by comparison to the electric.

2005 Mid Entry 600hp Newell
Piper Jetprop 560 HP
Aviat Husky Taildragger
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive
Delorean Turbo Special