You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Underside things

I have been working on removing 30 years of gunk from previous oil leaks that have finally been sealed up under my watch and expense. I am slowly working on making the underside clean and semi new again. My question is the service life of the brake chambers. I have type 30 brake chambers and they seem fairly cheap. Should I bother to replace them? I would do new hoses for good measure. My goals are to have the bottom side renewed to last another 30 years.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I'd say that after 30 years changing both brake chambers & brake hoses are very important. Have already changed mine.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Dude that is beautiful, you did a great job! I work on 40+ year old Porsches and the first thing I do is replace the brakes and all the lines along with the fuel lines front and back, they are time bombs if you don't. Bingo Steve answered your question while I was typing.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Man, Simon...that Pit is sooooo nice, huh!!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Thanks Steve! I found the name of the service brake chamber but the tag axle has no identification. How would I go find these? Newell will not know based on my experience. I was going to buy the parts and have Leo install them. Found another air leak from moving hoses around along with a broken compressor bracket on engine. I think I could reach in there with my Mig torch. The more I dig around, the more seems to pop up!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

In your second picture I'd be surprised if that push on tubing fitting doesn't start leaking soon with the bend where it is right near the fitting. Maybe you could either change the fitting to a compression or at least relieve the bend somewhat.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

That’s actually new work done by the trailer hitch shop when they added the air brake setup for the toad. They also used a white RO plumbing push on coupling on line. It is on my list of things to update.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I just can't find what type of brake chamber is on the tag. Would they use a type 30 service to match the type 30-30 for the drive axle? I found a tag on the bolt of the tag chamber but no luck cross referencing on Google. BW B019113. Frustrating.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Oh my! You have a broken suspension bracket. That is going to take some serious welding to repair.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That bracket is for the A/C compressor. I welded it up yesterday Smile Dash A/C doesn't work.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312