You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lights not working on Toad

I cannot get toad lights to work. Have ruled out cable issues, have hooked up a different toad and still won’t work so I am assuming it is the Coach and not the toad as issue. I can find fuse box for tow lights ( brake lights, turn signal, running lights, etc. ) and all fuses are fine. I cannot find an individual fuse or breaker for the tow plug? Is there anything I am missing ? 
Thanks for any help.

Let’s start with the plug on the coach. Using your voltmeter, do you see any voltage at the plug when the brake, headlights, or turn signals are activated?

The next place to look will be in the engine compartment. Newell typically uses a relay based system for the rear plug. I don’t know exactly where they would be on your late model coach. But find those relays, and using a voltmeter determine if they are getting signal voltage, and supply voltage.

And another thing that goes with NO toad lights, is grounding. Without a good ground, nothing will work.

Did they work, and stop suddenly? Or is this a problem that has always existed?

Sorry for all the silly questions, but the armchair mechanics like me are only as good as the info provided. We don’t know what you know about the situation.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I can't tell the model and year of your coach, so please tell us; or put it in your signature to help us help you.

An oddity in our Newell, a 2015 and others, is that Newell doesn't energize the 7-pin fully UNTIL THE TRAILER BRAKE VALVE IS DEPRESSED. This not only charges the aux tank for the Air Force One system, but it also send power to, in our case the brake/turn lights on our TOAD.

So, just so we don't overlook that scenario, let's just make sure your coach isn't the same way.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I have had to run an independent ground wire to get toad lights to work before when in a big hurry. Hard ground to both coach and toad got things working. I know it's not a "good" repair, but it can get you back on the road until you get to destination and have more time to track down the problem ground with toad plugs and cables.

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the omission on year of Coach…. It is a 2017. I am not near the Coach today but will check all your suggestion tomorrow when I am back at it. Many thanks to all.

Doug H.

I missed your question Richard…… they have always worked fine just stopped on last hook up.
Thanks