You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

First RV, Launching hospitality company startup

Hello, 

Thanks for having a swift registration process. Being a former Tulsa resident, I've loved Newells since I discovered them for the first time. The chassis and suspension seems like a race driver's dream rig. The recent unit with saunas and cold plunge is incredible! 

Anyway, I'm attempting to full time in it while launching a motorsport hospitality company and looking for 10-15 year old Newells pre DEF with the X15 15-20k towing capacity for hospitality/tailgates in the <$350k range (~2008-9 range likely).

I was looking at 2016-19 Allegro Busses but this seems like it might be a better overall value move?

Good luck in your search; there are quite a few older Newells on the market; although sub-350k might be hard with your year range...probably will be older.

A minor point, and I'm sure others will chime in...those older years will be prodominantly CATs and Detroits. The X15 is a newer version (around 2017) of the ISX which came in later models than what you're looking for (around 2001).

Hope this helps a bit.

An AB is production and a completely different animal. Value? Well, it'll be subjective in many eyes. We're all Newell fans for a reason, economy not being one of them, as all Newells take a significant commitment of funds to keep them alive. To some, that may be the sole reason for staying with a production box, which "tends" to be "less" expensive to maintain; year for year comparision.

Also, the biggest elephant in the room these days, is INSURANCE! People, espeically NEW coach prospects are having a miserable time even finding insurance, let alone selling off body parts!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

From 2007-2010 virtually all Newells will have the C-15 Cat. Starting in 2011 most will have the Cummins ISX. The Cummins X-15 didn't show up until the mid of the 2019 nodel year for Newell. I believe that #1419, a 2011 had the pre DEF Cummins ISX with 650 HP and 1950 lb-ft of torque. Not sure how long after than pre DEF engines were installed in Newells.

Going all the back to 1990, virtually all Newells had a towing capacity of 20k pounds (GCWR-GVWR) although many would have to have the trailer hitch upgraded to tow that much weight as the original owner was only towing a car or truck and requested a Class III hitch.

Happy hunting.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, as you said, most people are towing a car or truck as a toad. In the event someone wants to tow a stacker trailer for instance, is an off the shelf hitch available (based on GCWR), or does Newell need to be involved to modify something on the chassis?

Life is what you make it.

(02-05-2023, 05:53 AM)DanB Wrote:  Michael, as you said, most people are towing a car or truck as a toad. In the event someone wants to tow a stacker trailer for instance, is an off the shelf hitch available (based on GCWR), or does Newell need to be involved to modify something on the chassis?

Nothing needs to be added or modified to tow a Stacker. The Newell’s receiver is the large size that fits the heavy duty hitch.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

No two Newells are alike. Some come equipped with a 20k hitch, some with a 10K hitch, and some with a 5K hitch. The high capacity hitches can be retrofit, but it is not an off the shelf item or commercially available. I have seen Newell dabbing those hitches and retrofitting.

I have seen one coach pulling a stacker with a 5K hitch and the scary damage it caused. The owner was “told” it would be OK. By whom, I do not know.

You will know the big boy hitches when you see them. They will extend under the coach engine carriage rails. They will be constructed of large 2 1/2 inch or so square tubing. Many will have a 2.5 inch receiver. And they hang down, reducing the ground clearance at the rear.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Oh, yes…I was thinking along the lines of the newer coaches which have the 3” receiver that are “ready to go…tow”.

But as Richard mentioned, bets are off with the older series and his info will be more relevant to your quest.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA