You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air throttle issue

We are in Brinkley Arkansas , 40 miles east of Memphis Tennessee. Our coach is an 8V92TA that is trying to give me a heart attack. I have had problems with high idle, and throttle not "releasing" after cresting a hill. This is a real heart stopper.. We are safely off the road in an rv campground, and won't continue on until I can resolve this. Now from time to time the throttle feels like it  "sticks to the floor", I was able to work around it by shutting down the engine, and restarting and putting it in gear before it could get up to 2000 plus rpm. I have limped in to the campground, and when restarting the engine , the problem persists.   I know nothing about this. I believe the air throttle is behind the air cleaner on the passengers side. Tomorrow I will remove the air cleaner and visually inspect , but I don't know what I am looking for. Ironically, we have an appointment for next week at the Bus Grease Monkey in Centerville Tennessee for a complete check up. Any and all advise is appreciated. 
Guy Cobham
562 925-2716
[email protected]

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Start with looking for a return spring on the throttle lever.

My 87 was doing something like that - it was the cable between the bendix actuator & throttle lever that was the issue. I replaced it with a bunch of parts I kludged together off eBay ( I lost use of the factory cruise control & fast idle when I did. )

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

As Kyleb says , check the cable and spring once you get the air cleaner out of the way.  
Also , does your throttle pedal return smoothly ? 
I had a slow to return to idle problem , it turned out the adjustable pedal stop was loose and prevented pedal to return completely . 
As I'm sure you know,  Scott may be able to come out to where you are .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Also , check air line . If pinched or restricted in some way it will be slow to relieve pressure.

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Just an update on our coach issue of sticking open air throttle, and engine shut down switch failure at the same time. A perfect storm .  Bus Grease Monkey of Centerville Tennessee came to our rescue. When we were having these problems , we were already  in route for a long standing ( 4 months) service appointment at the Bus Grease Monkey garage . The following day, Bus Grease Monkey sent his service truck 240 miles  to our campground, freed up the linkage on the throttle, determined that the shut down switch itself had also failed, and then followed us the 240 miles back to the shop. At this point it looks like failure to lubricate pivot points on the throttle assembly, ( that one is on me) and a weak return spring , and worn and binding linkage were the culprits, giving us idle rpms of 800 up to 2000 rpm. Because of these issues, even the Jake brake couldn't activate , making things a little more dicey.
Day 1 at Bus Grease  Monkey Garage. We are living in our coach, inside one of two enclosed service bays, 30 amps provided. Life is good.. 9am start time, and these guys move at a rapid pace. It appears they service only two coaches at a time, so today is all about us Smile. I will continue our saga on another thread, Thank you for all your advice Gurus. This is an amazing forum.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I had my throttle cable rebuilt by a shop in California,  have the information if needed . Scott is probably aware of options for cable .
BGM will get your coach sorted out and working well . Very knowledgeable on Detroit two strokes . 
I look forward to any videos he does on your coach , Glad you made it to the shop safely .
BTW , what was your time on the hill climb ? 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Looks like you breezed up the hill ...pulling a trailer no less !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Big fan of Bus Grease Monkey on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/@BusGreaseMonkey

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Here is a picture of Guy's hill climb....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Guy's repair  is underway on You Tube now , Bus Grease Monkey .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand