You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Green Slime is a friend of mine

All my air bags are new or at least they look new but had a tag axle air bag leaking from the bottom not the top where the fitting is, Richard recommended green slime so I bought a quart of it and made an IV drip into the fitting on top of the air bag but it was to slow so I had the bright idea of poking a hole in the bottom of the plastic container and perhaps it would go quickly. Nope! So I got the brighter idea to pressurize the plastic container to speed up the process and it worked! Got a half quart into the air bag before the plastic bottle blew out on me, Yep I looked like Shrek the Ogre, but after cleaning myself up and all my tools I aired up the coach and NO leak from the bottom of the bag. I am done for the day!

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Two years ago, we had a rear air bag fail, that "looked good" but was at least 10 years and maybe more, adding up our ownership and the time the previous owner had the coach. It had been a very slow leaker, and one Sunday she let loose, and our rear corner dropped to the chassis, and tire contacted the wheel well. The blow out occurred between the bag and the bottom steel plate.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy thats one of those nightmare stories I've heard from others also, these air bags have been replaced recently, can't quote the date but the last owner said new but new to him could be 1-9 years. The leak was was slow but under the air bag, some say thats common on the tag axle. The green slime is a temp fix till I get to a place I can get the wheel off and replace it so far this morning our coach is still level from yesterday with the HWH off so to me this is a major plus.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks for the reminder to check the bags Guy.

In this case, Jack’s issue is an artifact of the new design of the Goodyear bags and the interaction with the non parallel angles introduced in the suspension when the coach is raised. I know of cases where brand new bags have done this. Search for Goodyear Air Bag Burping for TMI.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )