You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1996 Alison Transmission ATF capacity?

I am stuck on the side of the road with an abraded transmission cooler line. Since I have lost all my transmission fluid, I need to refill.

Anyone know the capacity for my Allison?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Best I remember, it’s right at 5 gallons. But that was after dropping the pan and completely draining it.

The dipstick is NOT the preferred way of checking the level, but in your case you don’t have any choice. I think you know you check it with the engine running.

When you get it close, you push the up and down buttons on the transmission key pad to force it into the fluid level check mode.

The trans cooler lines are under very little pressure, you may be able to wrap the leak with some of that stretchy sealing tape and reinforce that to get you to safety.

Avoid towing at all costs. My .02

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hmmm the Allison manual says 11 gallons????

Remember I have lost, essentially, ALL my fluid from the transmission and the cooler.

The line that ruptured ( I know why it did) is very large and attached to the main radiator at the rear of the coach. Looks like a high pressure hose to me.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

They will kind of run 13-14 qts low. VERY noisy! But just to get you to a safe spot.

Out of curiosity why did it rupture? Got any pictures?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

In case you haven’t gotten it, here’s what Allison says (see the bottom of page 7):

http://www.fccc247.com/3%20Chassis%20Ven...ations.pdf

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Will have some photos tomorrow, but the lower cooler hose bracket was left open after work was done in the vicinity. It ribbed through on the oil pan and frame rail coming up into the engine bay

Had a new one made up $756, do it now pricing from NAPA. Added 5 gallons of fluid got us on the stick. Added some more ended up around 7 gallons (evidently I have an additional cooler.) and all was well.

I WILL be replacing the upper hose and saving it for a spare.

I WILL be checking every hose I haven't already replace.

After the repair, first stop was a Blue Beacon truck wash where they were kind enough to wash the engine bay and exhaust/undercarriage as everything was coated with ATF and was smoking.

All good now. 10 hours into the drive past the location of the failure. My Trans temp is a bit cooler at 67mph I am at 150-155.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller