You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Can't turn Engine Off

Started my 1986 8V92. No air and now I can't turn the engine off. Tried rear controls also. Same result.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

Hooked up my shop air to the coach and the engine stopped normally. Found a leaking hose. Apparently that fuel valve requires air to operate.

Great report! Thanks for the resolution!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Perhaps an owner of another 8V engine can give instructions of the location of the fuel shutoff valve and how to manually activate it. That would be good “walking around” knowledge to have in case you needed to shut the engine down in a hurry.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, you must have air for the air solenoid to pull back on the throttle box ( I will call it). I have seen a few coaches with a metal handle, like a “T” on the drivers side, rear compartment door next the the radiator. It is a manual shutoff. Just a mechanical rod connected to the throttle box to pull back the rack to stop the engine

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

There is no rod or lever that I can find. Does anyone have a picture of the device? I’d sure like to install one.

Member Guy. Just had issues with his air throttle and was on “Bus Grease monkey” they mentioned the shut off rod in the video. I would also search air throttle issue on the forum. It was less than 2 months ago

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

The shut off solenoid on Guy's 84 is electric as seen on the BGM video . On my '86 and obviously on Tim's , the solenoid is electric over air . When activated for engine shutdown there is a plunger in the solenoid that extends , moving the shutdown lever to the fuel off position. 
The lever is on the top of the governor housing , I will find a picture and post it.  In the meantime you can look in the area under the turbo Inlet . The throttle shaft is also near the shutdown lever so you can follow the throttle cable to locate the controls  . 
My solenoid has stuck in the shutdown position a couple of times , WD 40 and a little push frees it up . If engine doesn't start immediately I look at that first. If no air the lever could be moved to shutdown.

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Our 1984 electric shut off valve has a cable operated emergency pull located it the compartment on the left of the radiator . It has a 1 inch black ball as the the handle, and is kind of buried under the turbo piping at the 2 o'clock position. If you weren't specifically looking for it you wouldn't notice it. I couldn't find it when I needed it, and removed the air filter housing and blocked incoming air to the turbo with a piece of wood.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Thanks Chris, I'll look for something like that.