You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan

Again, Richard encouraged me to take a deep dive and tackle a complicated project. Thank you Richard!

I removed my Multi-Wing Fan to re-pitch the blade angle. It’s also the perfect opportunity to clean the radiator/CAC/hydraulic cooler!

Read the Multi-Wing Fan instructions thoroughly!

.pdf Multi-Wing Z6 Instructions .pdf Size: 274.74 KB  Downloads: 1

My fan has eight Z6 blades that were set at 20° pitch. I am going to increase the blade angle to 32.5° in an effort to draw more air across the radiator stack. I hope this also helps move hot air out the back of the engine bay as well.

My Multi-Wing Fan was manufactured 5/26/04. 

I measured the diameter of the fan at 38”.

The blades are in good condition, I may consider replacing them in the future due to age. 

Tools used in removal:
The center bolt which holds the fan assembly to the shaft on the overhung load assembly requires a 1/2” wrench, the bolt has a thread of 5/16-24. I forgot to measure the bolt length.

The remaining hardware was removed with a 10mm wrench and socket. 

Removal:
The entire Multi-Wing Fan can be removed from the drive assembly by removing the center bolt that threads into the OHLA drive shaft (I noticed a coach with a C-15 did not have a OHLA but the motor appeared to be similar to my motor). 
I opted to leave the fan mounting flange attached to shaft by removing the five M6-1.0 bolts and lock nuts. I used a 1/8” ball rotary file in a Dremel tool to make a small mark on the flange and hub to ensure I re-assemble in the original configuration. Yes this created more work for me but I’m not familiar with a tapered key shaft assembly. As I mentioned, I did remove the bolt for a photo shoot opportunity then replaced it. 

Clearly, the left side of the engine compartment is tight quarters and removing the fan assembly is not a desirable job. I strongly suggest a long sleeve shirt for this job because it is necessary to reach your arm through the fan blades. They do have sharp edges. 
Patients is needed when loosening the bolts/nuts to remove the fan from the flange. I have an electric Milwaukee 3/8” ratchet that was very helpful. 

Once the fan assembly was free of the flange, I had to strap a coolant header tank hose out of the way and remove the CAC boot so the fan could slide out of the engine bay.

Once I had the assembly in the workshop and on a flat surface, it was photo shoot time. 
I took several pictures OF EVERYTHING to aid in re-assembly. On my fan two of the outer bolts had additional lock nuts (one a cap nut) added for balancing. 
I purchased new bolts and nuts and reassemble in the original configuration. 

The next step is identifying/marking all of the blades and hub/retainer configuration. 

The outer ring of bolts are the M6-1.0x25
The inner bolts are M6-1.00x16

TAKE MORE PHOTOS THAN YOU’LL EVER NEED. 

I used plastic pry tools to separate the hub and retaining rings. Do this step slowly because you want to note which “grove” the pitch locating pin is in the hub/retainer.

I determined the pitch of my blades were set at 20°. This is minimum pitch the fan can be set at. I honestly don’t know what to think of this setting. The Multi-Wing rep recommended I increased the pitch. Time will tell. 

I proceeded to clean up all of the parts for re-assembly making sure not to wash off the information I wrote on everything. 

I strongly suggest you study and inspect every component carefully. The manufacturer placed a locating triangle in the casting. It just so happened mine was at the 9 o’clock position when I started marking everything. Use the triangle to make sure the retainer and hub are re-assembled in the original configuration. 

Once I figured out where I needed to place the locating pin in the retainer ring for 32.5°, it was time to start the re-assembly process. 
I used clamps to hold the blades in the correct position as I placed the hub over the retaining ring. I used C-Clamps to hold the hub and retaining ring together. 

I’ll continue the assembly in the next post.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Messages In This Thread
Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 04-14-2023, 05:46 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by Richard - 04-14-2023, 07:02 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 04-14-2023, 07:24 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 05-01-2023, 07:29 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by Latitude 28 - 05-01-2023, 01:37 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by BusNit - 05-01-2023, 04:15 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 05-07-2023, 04:22 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by Jack Houpe - 05-02-2023, 05:36 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by [email protected] - 05-07-2023, 07:24 AM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 05-07-2023, 06:28 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by jdkskyking - 09-09-2023, 06:13 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by BusNit - 09-09-2023, 06:57 PM
RE: Cooling Fan - Multi-Wing Z Series Fan - by Jack Houpe - 09-10-2023, 03:52 AM