You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit Diesel Is Returning to the RV Industry

After a several year hiatus, Detroit Diesel has announced that they are returning to the business of powering motorhomes. They have the DD-13 reworked to meet the 2010 emission standards and will be providing that unit rated at 500 HP for motorhome use. Since Newell has moved on to larger, higher horsepower engines, I doubt that you will see a return to DD for Newell unless a customer specifically requests the DD-13.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/04/detroi...home-game/

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Mike,

The 'virtual technician' system sounds really interesting i.e:

“We have an innovative component they call ‘Virtual Technician’ that’s available only on the DD13 engine that provides the owner-operator with a very unique and safe feel while driving the coach,” said Weatherly. “If an engine light comes on in the coach, he will be notified within three minutes by our service center that the code was received by our technicians and he will be told that it’s either a ‘service now’ or ‘service later’ condition. This gives him peace of mind while he’s out in the middle of nowhere operating the vehicle.“

When the light comes on, says Weatherly, notification goes to the company’s Detroit call center where technicians analyze the fault, get a snapshot of the engine’s operating parameters and, within three minutes, determine whether or not parts are required. If they are, they identify the nearest distributor to the vehicle and let the customer know by cell phone exactly how to get there.”

He added, “The distributor also gets the e-mail with the troubleshooting guide and the parts list required so that when the customer arrives they’re prepared and ready to repair the vehicle.”

I have always liked Detroit Diesel engines, and perhaps someday Mercedes Benz will allow the use of their engine's in other than their Freightliner RV chassis.

I love my series 60 Detroit. The virtual technician sounds like a great system. It would seem like the 500 hp would be a limiting factor for a Newell that has grown to around 63,000 pounds. I still like to see 1 hp for every 100 lbs of weight.

JMHO..............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve-

I concur Big Grin